Shower extraction install - ceiling or wall? -approx cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The house I have purchased does not have a bathroom fan and therefore would like to have one installed. However, what do you recommend a wall mounted extractor or ceiling extractor?

The bathroom is approx: 9ftx8ft
Loft space above bathroom.
pull switch in bathroom for spots in ceiling

What brands do you recommend?

Also what cost could I expect for a job? and what should I specifically ask for?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I would always go for a ceiling mounted grill with an inline fan in the loft. Extract via soffit, or via roof tile if available.

The grill should be placed as close to the shower or bath as you can.

Look for centrifugal fans - Something line a VentAxia ACM100, or something cheaper but just as efficient (of not more) like a Vortice Lineo.

Try to use rigid duct if possible, or short 'tight' lengths of flexi.

For an extraction fan to be as efficient as possible, it needs to be able to suck air into the room (otherwise it's like sucking on a pipe with your finger over the end). Make sure there is a gap under the door, or you have other means of passive ventilation.

I would always go for a ceiling mounted grill with an inline fan in the loft. Extract via soffit, or via roof tile if available.

The grill should be placed as close to the shower or bath as you can.

Look for centrifugal fans - Something line a VentAxia ACM100, or something cheaper but just as efficient (of not more) like a Vortice Lineo.

Try to use rigid duct if possible, or short 'tight' lengths of flexi.

For an extraction fan to be as efficient as possible, it needs to be able to suck air into the room (otherwise it's like sucking on a pipe with your finger over the end). Make sure there is a gap under the door, or you have other means of passive ventilation.

Thanks for the info. Will look into these fans. There are certainly a gap underneath the door and our bathroom window remains open at all times.

Would you know the approx cost for labour to install such equipment. The bathroom is in the corner of the property on the the top floor. There is free access above the bathroom (just need to move the insulation). And sofit is probably the best route for the vent.

Thanks in advance.

Every area of the country is different.

Assuming your main protective equipotential bonding is up to scratch, then I would say you are looking at approximately 2.5 hours work. Typically you could expect something like £72.50 for the labour, and maybe £85 for the materials (assuming the cheaper fan) This would be plus VAT. It really depends on the area, and weather excessive travel etc is required.

I don't think an RCD would be required for this addition, as strictly speaking all new wiring is exposed in the loft. You may find the spark you appoint may get lulled into thinking an RCD is required, but IMO it is not. This should save a little bit of money.

Don't read too much into the figures though - every spark, and every area has different charging structures.

Sponsored Links
Every area of the country is different.

Assuming your main protective equipotential bonding is up to scratch, then I would say you are looking at approximately 2.5 hours work. Typically you could expect something like £72.50 for the labour, and maybe £85 for the materials (assuming the cheaper fan) This would be plus VAT. It really depends on the area, and weather excessive travel etc is required.

I don't think an RCD would be required for this addition, as strictly speaking all new wiring is exposed in the loft. You may find the spark you appoint may get lulled into thinking an RCD is required, but IMO it is not. This should save a little bit of money.

Don't read too much into the figures though - every spark, and every area has different charging structures.

Thanks for the info. I live in Leeds so not to sure about the correct pricing. However, will get several quotes and I'll provide the materials.

Thankyou once again...

Most electricians will prefer to supply the materials themself.

They make a tiny amount on the materials by doing this, but are still likely to be able to provide them cheaper than you, and they will also then be providing a warrenty on them.

If the fan fails in the first year and you have purchased the fan, a spark will charge you to replace it. If a spark has supplied the fan, he will sort out the replacement and refitting etc free of charge.

There is also nothing worse than turning up to do a job where a customer has purchased items, as more often that not they are not quite suitable, parts are missing etc.

Most electricians will prefer to supply the materials themself.

They make a tiny amount on the materials by doing this, but are still likely to be able to provide them cheaper than you, and they will also then be providing a warrenty on them.

If the fan fails in the first year and you have purchased the fan, a spark will charge you to replace it. If a spark has supplied the fan, he will sort out the replacement and refitting etc free of charge.

There is also nothing worse than turning up to do a job where a customer has purchased items, as more often that not they are not quite suitable, parts are missing etc.

I will go with what you say, and get them to purchase the materials. However, i'll specify what product I want to do the job based on the suggestion you've made. It makes sense as well, if they provide all the materials and labour then I have less hassle hopefully if things go wrong. Thanks once again for your valuable advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back