Shower Extractor Fan doesn't turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just fitted a shower extractor fan and it runs continously, when installing it there were no controls to change the running of it. Is this standard and is it safe to keep it running all day?

Thanks,

JD

Sponsored Links
doesn't come on with the lights, just stays on all the time. the light switch is a double switch at the top of the stairs operates the hall light as well, which also is controlled from a switch at the bottom of the stairs. the makes the amount and tye of wires more confusing (for me anyway). Please see attached photo for details.

@oharaf I replaced existing fan (which was broken) with this fan http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=35139# though I think they've upgraded the model since I bought mines as there are no timer controls on mines just a live and neutral connection.

Sponsored Links
How was the old one controlled?

it came on with the light, I think it's been broken for a while (couple of years it's been on my to do list!!)

Was there just L&N (and earth, I hope) in the cable supplying the old fan?
Yes, though there's no lace for the earth on the new fan.

and thanks for the link for the wiring.[/quote]

At a guess the old fan was a timed one?
3 core cable with red yellow blue and earth? You have connected red to L and Blue to N?
Convention seems to be yellow is switch live so if you connect yellow to L and blue to N does this fix it?
Also, tighten up those screws holding the back of the switch on!!

Bah - you replied as I was typing!

I think they've upgraded the model since I bought mines as there are no timer controls on mines just a live and neutral connection.

Nope, I think you've bought the wrong fan. You've got a standard fan, you need one with a timer.

I had understood
mines just a live and neutral connection
to mean that the fan only had L&N.

Lets ask him:

JACKD

How many wires do you have at the fan and what colour are they please??

"There's no place for the 'earth' on the new fan"........

I think it quite likely that the old fan was a timer model and that the cpc of the T&E had been used as the switched live. That being the case, it remains there, waiting to bite someone.

An inspection of the connections at the light fitting might reveal this........

Ah Lucia - perspicacious as ever - you could well be right.

If so, thank heavens it's a Class II fan, or the 'd' in the OP's name might now stand for "dead".

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies I have checked the light fitting and it looks like the cpc was being used as the switched live. Given that the new fan only has a live and neutral what are my options, buy a new fan or fit a separate switch or anything else? Is there anything I should do with the current wiring setup?

Thanks again,
JD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back