Shower from hell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I`m new here and would like to share my story of a lanldlord who living in a dream world and his attempt to buiding a shower, many thanks in advance for listening to my on going story.

The plan build a shower in a kitchen by boxing off a section and knocking through the wall in to a hallway.

knock hole in wall and lay shower tray on wooden blocks he rescued from an old leaking shower that he had to replaced cos the shower tray cracked (little bit rotten these blocks).

next build sides from stud and cover with mdf boarding and tile which is quite uneven and messy, at this point he calls a plumber to fit shower waste pipe and water supplie and to fit shower unit to the wall, unit is quite an old unit that as been discontinued now. plumber fixes shower waste pipe to the waste pipe to the kitchen sink only problem was pipe from shower runs on a little upwards angle to get into the waste pipe from sink. now when ever i empty a bowl of water in sink or run kitchen taps a little hard it starts to come up in the shower so i have to use a make do bung to stop this. when water does drain away in shower if you look down the shower drain hole you can see a water level about an inch or inch and a half below were it just sits there and dont drain away. now talking to landlord i find out my sink waste go under my floor boards takes a turn goes along and then heads downstairs and connects into downstairs sink waste pipe which also has a shower plumbed into it.

door for shower is a concertina type the frame for them is in place but the runners to hold the pannels are on the outside of the shower and also so are the seals so even this is looking like its gonna be fitted the wrong way round. he fitted the bar that holds the shower head gripper today yes it moves up and down but tilts from side to side not up and down cos its fitted the wrong way did tell him but he wouldnt have it, reckon his plumber said that was right way round lol got a bit rude and said he's not the only idiot and you wont be see him again any time soon, as he promised to come back twice to fix waste n never showed.

now the shower unit (advice), bit worried about this the unit dont seem to be sealed all the way round only the top and a little bit down each side the rest seems to be missing. i would of thought the rubber seal gasket between the front pannel and the electricals would go completely round the unit inside.

Sponsored Links
Hi

There is no gasket seal provided with an electric shower and it is not necessary to seal all around it with sealant (although I always do).

As for the rest of the dodgy work, does it really bother you or can you just live with it? I'm not being funny with you, just that if the landlord wants to damage his property with dodgy work, it's his problem and he doesn't sound like someone you can reason with.

The shower and basin waste would have been better separate. But if connected there should have been an in-line non-return valve between them to stop waste coming up in the shower.

Hopefully you don't have a bath connected to the same waste as well.

Hi

There is no gasket seal provided with an electric shower and it is not necessary to seal all around it with sealant (although I always do).

As for the rest of the dodgy work, does it really bother you or can you just live with it? I'm not being funny with you, just that if the landlord wants to damage his property with dodgy work, it's his problem and he doesn't sound like someone you can reason with.

The shower and basin waste would have been better separate. But if connected there should have been an in-line non-return valve between them to stop waste coming up in the shower.

Hopefully you don't have a bath connected to the same waste as well.

I.m suprised at seal cos seems to of been something there at one point.
but you are right I can always move and is down to him if he wants to damage his property just seems like such a waste really. now a bath would really do the trick thanks sure i can talk him into it lol

Your description seems t suggest a complete bodge job which sounds like a waste of time and money and can only lead to future problems.

My main concern would be if the electrics are safe and up to spec.

How is the shower connected back to the consumer unit?
Is there RCD protection for the circuit?
Who sized the cable and signed off the installation?

Sponsored Links
electrics are due to be done this saturday so remains to be seen how its going to be implemented. his sparky reckons will put a 45 amp supply etc.... so could be only thing thats will be done right then

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back