Shower - Hot water pressure keeps dropping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've recently fitting a new bathroom with a pump. Its a Techflow QT80T Positive head Twin pump. The shower is a mixer unit and when running it for about 5 mins, the hot water pressure slowly drops off. I have to open the hot bath tap to get the pressure back up in the shower.

The pump is installed in the airing cupboard at the base of the HWT. In the loft is a CWT with a feed direct to the cold side inlet of the pump. I've got a Salamander Surrey flange installed in the top of the HWT which then connects directly to the hot side inlet of the pump. The outputs of the pump then head back up into the loft and to the bath taps and shower via T-connector.

Any ideas why i keep loosing pressure on the hot side ?

Sponsored Links
It's an issue seen when the pipes are run up into the loft at the same level as the CWSC for ease of installation. The pipes then run into what's called a negative head area, especially when the water levels get lower in the cylinder and the CWSC as the pump empties them. Opening the hot tap, given it's lower down and larger bore, re-equalises the flow through the pipes to the pump.

If you wish to remove the problem IMO, then the pipes wold need to run under the floor to the bathroom. Or replace pump with a universal type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back