Shower Ideas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently moved to my new house. I am a fan of powerful shower and unfortunately I found a 8.5Kw electric shower which is not good at all.

Now I have some options and any help would be appreciated:
-replace it with a 10.5Kw if the wiring allows. It costs about £400 including the labor
-replace it with a 8.5Kw pumped electric shower, I dont know if they are good?
-connect it to the boiler. property has a combi boiler which is in the loft and so there is not tank. The cold water pressure is not very good. As the boiler is on the left it seems the piping can be done easier as the bathroom is on the top floor. I dont have any idea about the piping, re-tiling the bathroom and other costs. I assume it should be in the range of £700-£1000.
Also, I assume I should replace the shower with a thermostatic one. And I dont know if there is any way to improve the water pressure on a combi boiler?

However, I assume given the not very good cold water pressure, the combi option will be better than a high watt electric one?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Your options are a bit limited if the cold water pressure is poor.

a. You can't pump an electric shower as you are not (without a lot of fuss) allowed to pump the mains supply. This rules out your 8.5Kw option.

b. You could go for the combi option. Can't comment on your costings without seeing what's involved. Would probably give the best shower, but a combi will generally only run one hot water outlet at a time. There are ways of improving pressure, using an accumulator, but need a lot of space and expensive. You'd need a new shower unit so might as well go for thermostatic. With this option, if the boiler is out of action, you will have no hot water.

c. If you install a 10.5Kw electric shower, the flow rate from the shower will depend on the flow you can get from the pipework, which for a given size of pipe is dependent on the pressure. It should be better than an 8.5Kw shower, giving you a better flow / higher temperature. And it does give you a source of hot water if the boiler is not working.

A good starting point would be to check your mains pressure and flow rate and make a decision based on the results.

Thank you very much. One hot unit is fine as we are just two people. So based on what you said the choice is between 10.5Kw and combi. In general I assume combi will give a better pressure, please correct me if I am wrong.

And how can I measure the pressure and flow?

you can't fit a pumped electric shower on your combi ( if i read it right )

Sponsored Links
Stick a stuart and turner flomate mains boost on the mains to the combi boiler and a thermostatic shower will give you decent shower performance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back