Shower isolation switch fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Attached are 2 pics of my shower isolation switch, located in the corner of the bathroom, about 2-3 metres from the shower. It was installed in Nov 2012 and has been working fine, but recently (last couple of weeks) the switch was working intermittently - you can see why...

Before I call out the electrician that connected the shower/switch/consumer unit, any suggestions what may have caused this?

Cheers
Nick

Sponsored Links

Loose terminal which overheated, needs replacing. Also the burnt ends of the wires need to be cut back to clean bright copper before the new switch is fitted.

The green "stuff" between the brown and black wires suggests there may be moisture ingress as well.

Thanks both.
Re the moisture ingress, is it possible to prevent this?
Also, is it advisable to ask a different electrician?
Cheers
N

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. Re the moisture ingress, is it possible to prevent this?
If that's what it is, and if it's due to steam/condensation, then probably not - beyond measures (extra fans etc.) to reduce the amount of steam around.
I wouldn't personally think so. Since the problem probably arose due to him not tightening the terminals enough (which has been known to happen to the best of us!), he might even be 'sympathetic'.

One thing no-one has mentioned - one obviously needs to make sure that the switch has a high enough rating for the current concerned (obviously 'too late' for the old one, but essential for the new one!).

Kind Regards, John

Many thanks; very helpful. I'll go easy on him. I'll check the switch rating.
N

I wouldn't personally think so.
Have back an electrician who wraps sticky tape rather than using sleeving? ... I'd get a different one, I can't believe he didn't have any G/Y sleeving in the van. He smells more like an odd-job man than an electrician.
I suppose that is a reasonable view. I would probably be more inclined to make the culprit see the results/consequence of his work - if not only because it might help to avoid the same happening to other of his customers in the future.

Whoever/whatever he was, even if you can't believe it, he presumably didn't have any G/Y sleeving in his van (although he did have G/Y tape) - otherwise he presumably would have used it!

Kind Regards, John

If you look carefully, each cable has been passed through the incorrect cable entry on the base of the switch, so the wires have to 'cross over' to get to their correct terminals.

Now space is very limited in those pull switches (Crabtree/Marbo perhaps?).

Get another electrician to fit the new switch.

A reputable one.

The pictures suggest to me someone inexperienced has fitted it.

No electrician used to fitting such products which cross the wires over like that. You can see where the wires have been pinched against the cup that covers the switch.

The lack of earth sleeving says it all. If he did have some earth sleeving, perhaps it was too small.

The correct to install those switches is to connect the browns and blues up before screwing the switch base to the ceiling. Otherwise you can't always get the screwdriver in successfully if the wall is in the way.

I would recommend a Crabtree switch like you have there, but get someone recommended to fit it. Tell him you think a round Crabtree shower pull switch would be best.

These are the best switches to have, the square ones seem to go wrong too often, even the MK ones it seems...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back