Shower pump installation under the bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I want to install a shower pump under my bath. At the moment there is only lighting in the bathroom in terms of electric. What I plan to do is the following:
1) build a counter-top along the wall which will join the bath at the side where the tap is installed. This will incorporate toilet cistern and will be a base for semi recessed basin.
2) install shower pump inside this counter-top (it will be partially under the bath and partially under the counter-top; there will be no direct access to shower pump as there will be fixed acrylic screen under the bath and wooden wall under the counter-top)
3) under the floor boards there are cables going to 1st floor sockets. I plan to cut one of them and install maintenance free junction box (ashley) to get power supply for the pump
4) under the basin on the wall install fused 30mA RCD spur and isolator switch and connect the pump cord to it.

As a result the shower pump will be installed in the location which will be only accessible by tools and the only electrics which will be accessible without tools will be RCD spur and isolator switch behind the door under the basin (although I can cover them with some fixed panel if required).

Does this plan fit electric bathroom zones regulations? What part of this installation should be done by certified electrician?

Thanks a lot,
Sergey

Sponsored Links
Electrically not a problem.

However all shower pumps have very specific instructions as to where they can be installed - under a bath is not usually a suitable location.

It's Stuart Turner Showermate pump. Installation manual says:
"Typical pump locations are in an airing cupboard, or inside a vanity unit with a small purpose built dry and ventilated enclosure." So I suppose that my construction can be treated as "purpose built enclosure"...

Sponsored Links
Am I right that this is notifiable work (new installation in the bathroom)? Although I'm 100% sure that I can do it myself it looks that I have to hire a certified professional.

It's Stuart Turner Showermate pump. Installation manual says:
"Typical pump locations are in an airing cupboard, or inside a vanity unit with a small purpose built dry and ventilated enclosure." So I suppose that my construction can be treated as "purpose built enclosure"...

I'm neither a plumber nor a spark, but I'm not sure that under a bath fulfills either of these requirements.
Normally, it's dry of course, but that can change if the bath leaks.

And what would you be doing for ventilation? That would suggest (ideally) vents in two walls of the cabinets or, at the very least, in one of the walls. Will you be putting louvres or holes in the side of your bath enclosure?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back