Shower runs hot/cold in a hard water area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a problem with my shower, whereby when I initially turn it on, the water comes out hot, but then within a matter of minutes, it goes cold.
I found that if I turn off the shower, turn on the bath taps until the water runs hot, then turn them off and the shower back on, the shower runs hot again - but within a minute or two, it goes cold again!
The system was installed approximately 20 months ago and I have not had any problems until now.

It's a mains pressure shower with a thermostatic valve above the bath, which also has taps and a shower mixer.
The system runs off a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24i Junior Combi boiler and has an inline Scalemaster Magnetic Speedfit scale inhibitor fitted.

I checked the pressure on the boiler and it was very low, so I've topped it up to the specified level, however, the shower is still having the problem.

My brother has the same boiler, which was installed around the same time, and when Worcester Bosch came out to look at it under the guarantee, they said the heat exchanger had scaled up and needed replacing.
When I spoke to the engineer who installed both systems, he found that very surprising after such a short space of time.
We both live in the south of England, in a very hard water area, but I've never heard of anyone having this problem so quickly with a combi boiler either.

Any ideas?

It seems like a design flaw if the heat exchanger has to be replaced/descaled that frequently.

Could it be that the cartridge in the thermostatic shower valve might need replacing, since the hot water to all other taps and even the bath tap mixer seems fine.
The water flow from the shower is quite poor, so maybe there's scaling somewhere?
Flow from all taps is strong, but not the shower.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice!

Sponsored Links
It is possible the shower is guffed.

However. Those magnetic scale inhibitors are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

It is not a heat exchanger design fault.

In the instructions it does say the water must be treated.

If it is not treated (which having one of those daft Salamander things is equivalent to) then the boiler can not be blamed.

I have a relative in Brighton and the water there is incredible.

Can you be more specific, when you say guffed?
:)

The cartridge in the thermostatic valve?
Something else?

I've read a number of posts from people where the heat exchanger was the problem.
It's just that I want to be sure before calling out Worcester Bosch and spending a load of cash.
Couldn't excessive scale build up on the heat exchanger reduce the flow of hot water?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back