shower to fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there , i think i am almost there but just want some expert advise , i have a 10.5kw shower ,plan on using 10mm cable , i will be getting a 45amp switch ( pull cord socket / switch ) then on the fuse box side of things i will need to fit a 45amp trip switch ! is this right so far ? or should an rcd be fitted aswell and is it a must ?......all advise greatly recieved , will try my best to answer any questions

Sponsored Links
Your pullcord switch & Mcb should be rated at 50 amps, As 10.5kw shower would draw 45.65 amps on 230v
A shower should also be supplied through a 30ma RCD :)

You should regard an RCD as a must. If your CU doesn't have one then you should think about having the whole thing replaced, but in the meantime fit a standalone one for the shower, or use an RCBO if you can get one.

As for the switch rating - check the small print of the shower specs - often 10.5kW is the rating at 240V, not 230V, which is under 45A.

thanks for the speedy reply ! so i guess with opting for the better shower i have slightly misjudged , so i will be getting a 50 amp now !do have have a rough idea of how much 30ma RCD and the pullcord switch & Mcb would cost ? dont need to give prices on these , i know this isnt homebase after all

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice guys ! i will be going shoping tomorrow , i dont know when i will start the wiring , as its a downstairs bathroom , with flooring fitted ,so running the cable is the nightmare at the mo , but i will think of something , be back if i need your help

A shower should also be supplied through a 30ma RCD

A shower does not need to be on an RCD if the relevant earth loop impedance is satisfied to provide disconnection in relation to the fuse/mcb characteristics.
It is though always a good idea for added safety, but not a must.

the IEE wiring regs don't require a RCD but i would consider any spark who didn't a cowboy.

your putting one of the highest power applianes in your house in an area where you are spraying your naked body with water out of the appliance and (depending on the cubicle design) you may not be able to quickly get out of the way.

hi there i have a problem !

the mcb in my cu is smaller than the ones that i can find available locally !
if you know where i can find the ones like i have please help

smaller as in size not amps

right this is what im sure i need : a MEM QEB 45A mcb !

does anyone know where i can find one please ?

:LOL: yes thats the one ! thanks , not cheap are they , oh well needs must ! i didnt have the part number thats why its a bit vague , i need one for installing a shower

ps. i would have happily posted a pic if only i knew how :(

theshogun said:
A shower should also be supplied through a 30ma RCD

A shower does not need to be on an RCD if the relevant earth loop impedance is satisfied to provide disconnection in relation to the fuse/mcb characteristics.
It is though always a good idea for added safety, but not a must.

That's why the word "should" was used ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back