Shower Tray Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can some one help please!!

The drain in my shower tray is plastic with silver lacquer. This is now peeling off and the plastic looks dirty and horrible. Can I replace the drain and if so, how do I do it.
:oops:

Sponsored Links
Do you have access to the underside of the tray, where the drain is?

It should be a fairly easy diy job.

There are two connections to think about - trap to tray, and trap to waste pipe.

The waste connection is usually of the compression type, removing it consists of undoing the nut, sliding the trap off the pipe, and then sliding off the rubber compression ring and nut.

The tray connection is a bit trickier. There are different kinds but I think yours probably has a plastic body under the tray, with a great rubber washer to seal it. The plastic 'plughole' on the top unscrews from the main body of the trap. I've never had to remove one, but I suspect that once it's been there for years it's not going to be too easy. You may have some success by putting two beefy screws into a bit of wood, and using as a spanner (with the screw heads down the slots in the 'plughole').

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that Mogget. I will have a go at that. Watch this space as they say, I will let you know how I get on............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back