shower tray drain?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I got a nice stone resin tray. It will sit on tiles. Under that will be 25mm of ply.

The bottle trap I got will not clear (go underneath) the ply etc. So basically I can't use it.

Once the tray is fitted that will be it. So if I fit an alternative to the bottle trap it will need to be maint' free.

I'm looking for a good alternative. I'm thinking I will probably need to go back to a more traditional Ubend to get the clearance I need. However if any of you guys have any other ideas I will appreciate hearing them.

Thanks in advance ... Mick

Sponsored Links
we have a bottle trap on our shower tray, which is lifted off the floor, but there isnt enough clearance to open the trap. however, it can be cleaned as the drain grid (know what I mean :!: :?: ) lifts out, allowing someone to scoop out the hair and bits (nice :confused: )

we're planning to redo the bathroom and I want to have the shower tray sitting on the floor - only way I can imagine it would work is if you remove some of the floor so that there is clearance into the void beneath the floor boards? I guess it may mean notching floor joists for the drainage, depending on which way it runs?

thanks for the reply

It's quite a low profile tray. So it's essential that what ever drain method will be, it will need to be under the ply floor. Then it's a simple drain pipe to the soil pipe, no prob's with that.

I'm looking at a Hepvo but it needs to be maint' free and I'm not sure if the Hepvo is. Plus I want to have solvent joints under the floor. Having pushfit/gasket types doesn't give me confidence!

Mick

hepvo can block easy when used horizontal.
why not use a proper shower trap ?
RN_68_MN.gif

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply

The shower tray will sit flush on the tiles (to keep a low profile), then 25mm ply. The drain pipes will need to be well below the ply because I will need to drill a hole through one joist to get to the soil pipe

I've got 2 bottle traps and the top of drain outlet is about 20mm below the top bit (that connects to the tray). I really need that to be about 75mm.

Mick

Use a proper top access shower trap, as has already been suggested. The reason for doing this is that a normal bottle trap needs to be dismantled from underneath if it blocks and requires cleaning, which would mean either taking the shower tray out again or cutting a hole in your ceiling. Shower traps can be dismantled from above for cleaning purposes.

As for it clearing the ply, some traps come with an elbow straight off them, if it doesn't have one then just take an elbos straight down from the trap. You might need to cut the hole in the ply a bit bigger ;)

Be careful when drilling the joist for the waste pipe that you don't affect the structural integrity - there are rules about how much you can take out of a joist. Granted, it's your house and you can theoretically do what you like, but my advice would be to follow the regs - don't drill out more than 25% of the total depth of the joist, the centre of the hole must be at the vertical centre of the joist, and the hole must be between measurements of 25% and 40% of the width of the room (span of the joist)

Thanks for the reply

What you suggest sounds the best solution so far mate.

I was also thinking of making a Ubend from various pipe fittings. That way I could have a nice straight pipe coming from the shower tray and tailor make the ubend to fit as necessary. I think I might need to add a graphic to explain?

So when I drill the joist for the pipes. does the hole need to be in the centre of the 'width' joist? I have read up on it but find where to drill a bit confusing :confused:

TIA ... Mick

So when I drill the joist for the pipes. does the hole need to be in the centre of the joist? I have read up on it but find where to drill a bit confusing :confused:

TIA ... Mick

yep right in the centre.
and the right distance from the end of joist.
what size joist is it ?

Being a bit thick here mate :oops:

Do you mean the length of it? Not sure about this!

Depth is: 180mm
Width is: 70mm

The hole will probably be about 45mm for the 40mm pipe

Mick

Thanks mate

What to you think about using a smallish ubend? I got a small one when I fitted my rolltop bath and it works a treat.

Mick

A u-bend further down the line is a bad idea for two reasons - the first is that it will have the same maintenance issues as the bottle trap, as discussed earlier. The second is that if you make it out of fittings, there will be places for grime and hair to catch, and the water won't flow as smoothly as a real one. I'd give it six months before it blocked completely. Give in and buy a proper shower trap.

The centre of your hole needs to be in the vertical centre of the joist, that is halfway down the depth of it (90mm in your case). It must be the correct distance from the wall also...if you measure the distance between the internal walls of the room along the span of the joist I'll work it out for you.

Many thanks for the reply.

I have a couple bottle traps already mate. I'm just gonna have to use one of those. It will mean that I'll have to cut a bigger hole in the floor than I wanted to, but it will be well hidden under the tray so it's not a big problem. I will need to work out a method to get the pipe to drop quickly from the trap and follow the holes in the centre of the joists. I don't think that will be too tricky? :confused:

I've already drilled the holes mate, but many thanks for the offer. I've also re-enforced above and below the holes with 25mm marine ply. Probably OTT but I'm like that :)

Buy a 1 1/2" M+F (street) elbow or two from your local merchants, you can put the tail of one straight into the trap and if necessary the tail of the second into the socket of the first. Should get you out of most problems.

As for using the bottle trap, your call but don't say I didn't warn you about having to cut a hole in your ceiling or take the shower tray out again to clean it when it blocks up. Which it probably will, because they're more restrictive than most other types of trap.

Sorry mate

I keep calling it a bottle trap. I've actually got a shower trap, sorry!

I will check out those things you reccommend ... I aint got a clue what they are or look like! :D

Mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back