Shower tray fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Fitting a shower tray in this new bathroom, and everywhere seems to say that i shuild cement this in place. Its 25kg, its not a flimsy plastic one. Do i really need to cement it or can i get away with other adhesives, and if so what do u recommed?
Secondly is it recommended to cut the tray into the wall? ive got glass doors to fit so i suppose this would alter the actual depth of the tray if it was in the wall by any amount?

Thanks Guys..... Stressed ha, DIY seems like a good idea at the start eh

Sponsored Links
Presumably a stone resin tray?

They do need supporting across the base otherwise they might crack. Firstly, if the manufacturers recommend something, it might be wise to go with that for warranty purposes.

I've used mortar, and works well and is easy enough - make up a weak mix,spread it pretty thinly, as level as you can. then plonk the tray on top. Easier if you have someone else to help lower it straight down. Tap it down gently to get it level.

But I also know people that have used silicone sealant, and tile cement successfully.

Belt and braces is to use flexible tile adhesive and then the back of the tray make sure to scratch it up with 80 grit paper ,this will form a perfect key

Sounds more appealing than cement.. Can anyone advise weather I should 'cut' the tray into the wall? This will throw my doors out I think cos there 900 glass panels for a 900x 900 tray

Sponsored Links
Definetly not. Put it up against the wall ,if you are worried about any leaks then you need to use a tanking Kit

Brick wall which will have been plastered either using Bonding Hardwall or Cement render

All of which need to be tanked to be water proof!

Not wanting to hijack but if the resin trays require even support across the bottom then how do the riser kits work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back