shower tray installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

So I am planning on fitting a shower enclosure/tray (See link below). As you can see from the picture the tray is on the ground, there appears to be no base whatsoever and I am wondering how on earth one goes about installing something like this ? I have a drain above the ground and can only see it working if I build a foundation. The other alternative it to drill into the ground and have the drain under the surface. Any thoughts/recommendations/suggestions appreciated- Thanks.

http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/bathro...el-H-190-W-120-D-80cm-10567894?skuId=11058578

Sponsored Links
What type of tray are you planning on using? Resin stone trays need to be set on a weak mortar mix to provide uniform support over 100% of the base.

Choice is either, hole in the floor for the waste, (then how are you going to connect it up?) or build a suitable plinth and leave an access panel in appropriate position to access and connect waste.

If fitting on a solid floor i'd go for plinth option. You may need access to the waste in the future should it block, and eliminates wrecking the floor!

What type of tray are you planning on using? Resin stone trays need to be set on a weak mortar mix to provide uniform support over 100% of the base.

Choice is either, hole in the floor for the waste, (then how are you going to connect it up?) or build a suitable plinth and leave an access panel in appropriate position to access and connect waste.

If fitting on a solid floor i'd go for plinth option. You may need access to the waste in the future should it block, and eliminates wrecking the floor!

Some stone resin trays come with moulded in threaded inserts for supplied telescopic legs at each corner, and instructions to fit them that way. And a plastc skirt to cover the gap. Mine, for one. This would raise the tray off the floor enough for a waste above floor level. If it's a timber suspended floor, you should screw 18mm ply over that bit of it, to provide a flat, stable surface.

I've also seen diagrams where a sheet of ply the size of the tray is itself raised on legs, and the tray bedded on mortar on the ply.

Cheers
Richard

Not sure what tray I want to get yet, I am thinking of getting a resin stone tray as they tend to last longer (?). Do you have any brand recommendations ? I have heard quite a few horror stories about cracked trays post installation.

I have a concrete floor. I take it the plinth would be on the floor ? Ideally, I want to keep the tray as low as possible (it looks a lot nicer), a bit like a wet room I guess, but setting up underground drainage on concrete is quite a nightmare-ish job. If you have any suggestions then please do share. I will be boarding up one of the walls, I could try to network the drain pipe behind one of the walls. Is that a good idea ?

Sponsored Links

Some stone resin trays come with moulded in threaded inserts for supplied telescopic legs at each corner, and instructions to fit them that way. And a plastc skirt to cover the gap. Mine, for one. This would raise the tray off the floor enough for a waste above floor level. If it's a timber suspended floor, you should screw 18mm ply over that bit of it, to provide a flat, stable surface.

I've also seen diagrams where a sheet of ply the size of the tray is itself raised on legs, and the tray bedded on mortar on the ply.

Cheers
Richard
I have seen those, the skirting makes it look quite cheap TBH, hence why I want a low tray. But the problem with that is drainage, it would have been a jif if the flooring was ply but its not.. :(

You don't have to use the plastic skirt, you could make your own tiled panels.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back