Shower Tripping MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my mother has a Triton Sambada electric shower that appears to have developed a fault. The shower has a four position power selector switch with the following positions - Stop, Cold, Economy & High. When the switch is set to the cold or economy settings the shower works fine but if the high setting is selected then the MCB in the consumer unit trips.

Would I be right in assuming that when the high setting is selected then a second heating element is switched into circuit and that it is probably this heating element that is faulty causing the MCB to trip.

If this is the case then is it worth repairing the unit or just have another shower fitted. I will be calling a local plumber tomorrow to do the work but I just wanted to check what is likely to be the problem.

Any recommendations for a replacement shower that will require little or no alterations to the existing connections.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Triton are about the worst make of showers and shower pumps.

I suspect that it may not be a faulty shower but a mismatched MCB rating. Often a problem caused when a more powerful shower is installed without dealing with the electrical supply parameters. Do you know the shower rating and the MCB rating?

It really needs a good electrician who can understand the ratings, current capacity of the cable and MCB and measure the actual current taken using a clamp ammeter.

A very few plumbers could deal with it but most are very vague when it comes to electrical diagnosis.

Tony

Triton are about the worst make of showers and shower pumps.

I suspect that it may not be a faulty shower but a mismatched MCB rating. Often a problem caused when a more powerful shower is installed without dealing with the electrical supply parameters. Do you know the shower rating and the MCB rating?

It really needs a good electrician who can understand the ratings, current capacity of the cable and MCB and measure the actual current taken using a clamp ammeter.

A very few plumbers could deal with it but most are very vague when it comes to electrical diagnosis.

Tony
Thanks for the reply.

I'm afraid I don't know the shower rating or the MCB rating as I haven't been round mums flat to check it out yet. All I will say is that it has been working without any tripping for the last 18 months since mum moved into the retirement flat. I would have thought if it was a mismatch between the shower rating and the MCB rating then there would have been at least an occasional trip in the past whereas now it immediately trips as soon as you select the high rating.

What I will do is go round today and check the shower rating and that of the MCB and check that they are at least properly matched.

Just out of curiosity, why do you say that Triton are the worst showers. I was under the impression that they were good but that impression was not from any personal experience or recommendations and probably just brand awareness.

What electric shower brand would you recommend and for what reason.

You've more likely got a faulty element in the heat can.
Do a resistance test on the heating elements should be 12 - 18 ohms.

Not worth repairing the heat can a new complete shower isn't much more.
It's the same unit as the triton cara and a few others.

Sponsored Links
You've more likely got a faulty element in the heat can.
Do a resistance test on the heating elements should be 12 - 18 ohms.

Not worth repairing the heat can a new complete shower isn't much more.
It's the same unit as the triton cara and a few others.

Thanks for that. I've now been round mums flat and checked it out. Firstly it turns out that it was in fact the RCCB that is tripping in the consumer unit, NOT the MCB. Sorry for the duff information.

The shower is a 8.5kW unit and it has a 40A MCB protecting it and it looks to be 10mm T&E cable supplying it but I'm not 100% sure of that.

I have measured the resistance of both heating elements where one reads 12 ohms and the other 15 ohms and it is the second one that appears to be causing the tripping. So although it reads ok with the power disconnected it could be breaking down under load (does this happen?).

I'm going to make a phone call in the morning to get someone in to sort it out. Should I call an electrician or a plumber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back