Shower wall sealer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm having a new bathroom fitted by a builder. I had other quotes for the job, and one builder said he would seal the wall before fitting the shower, with a paint on plastic type material. My builder says I don't need it.
Is it better to paint before or not?

Camerart.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I was reading about Screwfix Aquaprufe and in the Q&As the answer is: you don't need it, if waterproof grout is used, as the second builder (The one I'm using) said.

Thanks, C.

Hi C,
Perhaps he doesn't need to, but he is going to skim the whole room.
C.

Seems daft if your gonna tile over not that plaster is expensive, but his labour is I would imagine, only reason I can think of to skim is to level the wall if it's really crook. Also make sure to allow time to dry out and use primer suitable with the adhesive your using before tiling over fresh skim.

Seems daft if your gonna tile over not that plaster is expensive, but his labour is I would imagine, only reason I can think of to skim is to level the wall if it's really crook. Also make sure to allow time to dry out and use primer suitable with the adhesive your using before tiling over fresh skim.
Hi C,
I'll leave it to them now, as the advice is, that it isn't necessary for me to do anything.
C.

I think your builder sounds a bit out of his depth.

Don't tile on fresh plaster for at least 3 weeks, YES you SHOULD tank it. Experience says most builders aren't great tilers.

Can you give some more details on the materials he's using and what tiles are being fixed?

I think your builder sounds a bit out of his depth.

Don't tile on fresh plaster for at least 3 weeks, YES you SHOULD tank it. Experience says most builders aren't great tilers.

Can you give some more details on the materials he's using and what tiles are being fixed?

Hi L,
Perhaps that's why he is cheaper than the first!

As a compromise, can I use cheaper tanking liquid? Say Screwfix or wicks, as he will use water proof grout.

I haven't bought the tiles yet, but I think not the largest? as the top ones in the photo. I'm working out whether to go for the more expensive vitreous type.

His quote says he uses waterproof grout supplied by him?
C.

Attachments

• Tiles.jpg
    Tiles.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 77
Why don't you listen to the bloke doing the job instead of some anonymous internet expert.

Why don't you listen to the bloke doing the job instead of some anonymous internet expert.
Hi A,
There were two builders saying two different things. I did say I will leave it to them, but I'm also interested in other 'experts' I've learned a lot this way. I'm only trying to end up with the best job I can.
C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back