Siemens washing machine: motor fault. Reset?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a Siemens WM14E141GB washing machine also known as an e14.14. I believe it is similar to numerous Bosch models.

The machine stopped working a couple of days ago. It made a grinding/crackling noise when on a fast spin, and then stopped. The front panel has 3 lights flashing which the manual says means "motor fault".

The drum and motor rotate freely. The inside of the machine is coated with black dust. The motor was pretty hot and covered in lots of black dust.

Assuming that the motor was kaput and not wanting to just replace the brushes, I've put a new motor in, part number BSH144086. I've fitted it no problems, very easy.

BUT, the lights on the front are still flashing in the same pattern (top, middle and bottom of the 5 vertical lights) so still indicating a motor fault.

Is there something I need to reset within the machine to clear the fault code, or some other bit that needs replacing?

Some other Siemens washers appear to have a test or diagnostic mode of some sort which can be entered via a combination of button presses which can reset the error code - is that the case with this one and if so what is the button sequence?
Ta in advance for help.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Using some info I found online for an Indesit washing machine, I did the following:

Switch off at mains
Turn knob to zero
Switch on at mains
Switch off at mains
Turn knob to spin
Switch on at mains

The 3 lights have now changed and I now have the wash light flashing plus all 5 spin speed lights flashing.

Seems like I've entered a test mode. However I can't get out of it now! Oops :D.

Any ideas what obscure dial/switch combo I need next?

An Indesit test mode initiation will not work for a Siemens washer. Turning the washer off at the program selector should abort a test program.

Thanks for the reply.

The dial twiddling described above definitely changed the lights from spin speed lights 1,3 and 5 flashing indicating a motor fault, to all 5 spin lights and the wash light flashing.

I tried putting the dial onto one of the temperature wash settings and turning off the machine but no joy - all the lights still flash when I turn it back on.

This link shows the machine in question:

http://www.properprice.co.uk/siemens-wm14e141gb-2006.html

Any more guidance?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
As you correctly state flashing led's on 1, 3 & 5 do signal a motor fault...but it can also indicate a pcb issue (shorted motor triac) - a wiring break/bad connection in the motor circuit - or a defective tacho generator. Your new motor effectively eliminates any possible motor or tacho problems, but you could still have a pcb/wiring issue. Check the motor wiring & connection plug then inspect the pcb for signs of damage. I don't think the machine is locked in a test sequence. Try pressing & holding in the start/pause button for min 5 secs & see if that cancels the led's.

Thanks. I have taken the front panel off and had a good look at the pcb which looks fine, no damage, and all the rest of the wiring looks fine and connections are tight.

Pressing and holding the start button for 5 or even 10 secs made no difference I'm afraid - still got all the spin lights and the wash light flashing.

Last ditch attempt before you need to consider a new/recon pcb:
Close the door & set program selector switch to the off position. Wait 2 secs then move the program selector clockwise switch to position 8. Wait until the start LED flashes then press & hold the spin speed button. While holding in the spin speed button turn the program selector to position 9, then release the spin speed button. This ought to bring you into the test program. But rather than run a test sequence at this stage turn the program selector back to the off position. Wait 5 seconds then turn the program selector back on & report the led status.

Thanks for your continued help Zipper.

When I turn the machine on at the wall and then move the program selector to any position other than "off", the only flashing lights are all the spin speed lights and the wash light. The start light doesn't flash.

None of the buttons are responsive and the machine does nothing other than flash all the lights at me.

Ah ha!!!

I did the following which seemed to exit it from this wierd all spin lights on test mode:

Door closed.
Machine switched off at the wall
Turned dial to zero/off
Switched machine on at the wall
Turned dial clockwise to position 8 (spin)
Press & hold spin speed button
Turned dial to position 9 (empty)
Release spin speed button
All spin speed lights turned off
Wash light remained flashing
Turned dial to zero/off
Turned dial to 40C wash
Start light started to flash and one spin speed light was flashing as per normal when you switch the machine on to start a wash.
Pressed start and the machine commenced a wash as normal.

Result!!!! Many thanks Zipper. You're a star.

Andy

congrats on fixing your machine
I am in dire need of some motor parts
If you still have your old motor can you get in touch?

Thanks

chris

This worked for an e.14.16 or WM14E16 aswell. The clock references was not the same, but program references were correct.

I know this thread is old, but for the sake of other people searching for a solution using same model number as me, I find it legit to update the thread.

Door closed.
Machine switched off at the wall
Turned dial to zero/off
Switched machine on at the wall

Turned dial clockwise to spin (6 o'clock on 14E16)
Press & hold spin speed button
Turned dial to empty (7 o'clock on 14E16)
Release spin speed button
All spin speed lights turned off
Wash light remained flashing
Turned dial to zero/off

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/siemens-washing-machine-motor-fault-reset.243521/#ixzz4q6MJZmbN

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back