Sigma 40 60 boiler shutdown.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone could help with my boiler problem I've had for the last 8 months. It’s not yet 3 years old but I am at the stage of just throwing the thing out and getting a new one. Anyhow, the problem is it shuts down and the little red LED comes on. Push the button to reset and it fires up OK. Sometimes happens once a day, sometimes 6 or 7 times a day. Had a boiler man in a couple of times (recommended by ferroli) who could find nothing wrong, contacted ferroli who told me it could be anything and to get a boiler man in.... I replaced the thermostat, made no difference. Buzzed through all the wiring, resoldered the circuit boards 'just in case'. The only clue is when it fails to ignite, I hear the fan and sometimes get a smell of gas, sounds like no spark? Gaps ok on electrode and it’s all nice and clean inside. Also, pump often keeps running which cools down the hot water tank just nicely (just love a cold shower).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
To be frank, this sounds liks a minefield. You've changed, or worked on, lots of components without diagnosing the problem first.

If the manufacturer can't tell you what the red light means and how to fault-find it further then something is very wrong.

And if your boiler man couldn't fix it? Get another boiler man. I very much doubt that the manufacturer recommends engineers on the basis of past performance - for example, did you give feedback to Ferroli?

Have you stood next to it when it "fails to ignite"? Can you see the ignition spark?
Have your boiler man check the burner pressure at the point of ignition, and also that the minimum burner pressure is correct. It could be failing to cross light.
Check the ignition lead id OK - it could be sparking in the wrog place.
Check that the ignition spark stops once the flame is lit, it could be failing to recognise the burner is lit and shutting down accordingly.

Sponsored Links
It seems pretty obvious to me if there is a smell of gas FROM THE FLUE that there is a failure to ignite.

Assuming the electrodes are OK then it must be the spark generator on the PCB is intermittent.

Manufacturers DO know the capabilities of their service engineers and can send a "better" one if someone else has failed.

Tony

Hi all,

Thanks for the input, its all much appriciated. I might replace the PCB as a final effort, its just that the cost keeps rolling and you get to a point where your better off cutting your losses.

Thanks again, really appriciate your time.

Thanks,

Gavin.

Hi
to be honest you should'nt have even got a ferroli. But seen as though you have it. It probably is the board,but i personally would'nt go throwing good money after bad on the piece of pooh. get something good like a worcester bosch or vailant. By the way i am talking with a great deal of experiance and boiler repair knowledge. Good luck!

Even Ferolli boilers can give good service if they are installed on a clean system.

Not that long ago in the Brum area they seemed to be every third boiler and to have earned the reputation of fit and forget!

I do have to say that my experiences more recently have less than ideal but for any service engineer wiling to spend a little time to learn their pecularities they are not that bad boilers.

We keep the sensors in stock as well as some of their PCBs !

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back