Silicone, Frame Sealant or Putty for Glazing ext door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Choices, choices, but which is best?
I am replacing an external door in our alleyway that has rotted, it has a 1m x 56cm wired glass panel which I am going to re-use on the new door. The new door has wood D shaped batons to attach both sides of the frame with one set part of the door and the other 4 sides to be attached after the glass is installed.
For sealing the glass between the two batons, which is best, Silicone, Frame Sealant or Putty? any tips appreciated as I do not want to screw it up!!

Thanks
Alan.

Sponsored Links
The beading is instead of putty, though a dab of silicon would help prevent rattle if the door dries and shrinks a little.

Thanks foxhole.

Okay so it's either white 'Silicone' or white 'Frame Sealant' I think the Frame Sealant was labelled as an Acrylic, which is best?

The door will be subject to rain and sun (South facing) so needs to be very weather proof! I would prefer to use Silicone, but, as the beading will have to be painted maybe the Frame Sealant would be better as I think this can be over-painted, yes?? I assume you can get external frame sealant that is waterproof......

Thanks
Alan.

External frame sealant if water resistant but not proof, painting it would help with that.

Sponsored Links
Hi foxhole.

Just to be on the safe side I bought;

'Uni Bond Weather Guard Outdoor Window & Door Frame Sealant'.

A lot more expensive than most but this seems to cover my needs as it states that it is weather proof and it can be painted as well.
Thanks for your help.

Alan.[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back