Silicone over silicone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I first decorated the bathroom I used clear silicone along the top of the tile trims and down the outside of the shower enclosure cos I thought it would look better. I've now redecorated using a different colour and you can see the first colour through the existing silicone. I've had a go at removing the clear stuff and it's going to be a pain and potentially cause a load of damage to the new paintwork. Do you think I would get away with putting a bead of white silicone over the top? Wife says to leave it but it's bugging me. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Silicone generally doesn't stick well to old silicone. However if you're determined not to "do it properly" by removing the old stuff first, then you could try to find some other kind of sealant using different chemistry - acrylic perhaps. That might stick to the silicone. Maybe someone else knows what sticks to what....

Sponsored Links
Decided to try some Zinnser 123 on it as suggested elsewhere. No success. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet or turn it back to the original colour (not likely to happen). On the plus side, I now have a big tin of Zinnser 123 to ask questions about. Watch this space. Thanks for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back