Silicone sealant around GU10 spotlights/downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm a basic DIYer and claim to be nothing more than that so please bear with me! I leave anything to do with electrics (apart from changing lightbulbs and wiring plugs) to the professionals!

I've inherited a situation where I've got a load of GU10 down/spotlights which have been fitted in various rooms throughout the house. They're all the same make/model throughout and are all 240v jobbies. They look a lot like the Robus fire rated ones (on Screwfix) and have a sort of metal chassis/container that is spring-fitted to the ceilings with the bulb and bulb-holder screwed into them. The chassis has holes in the upper face to allow heat into the ceiling cavity.

They've all been fitted for around 4-5 years and seem to work fine. However whoever fitted them seems to have done something not quite right... Perhaps they drilled the holes for the spotlights too small or something but the upshot is that there are very messy holes for some of the lights to sit into. You can see flaking plaster where they messed up the holes and the lights droop in places where they messed up the retaining springs. They're also impossible to pull out of their holes because the springs are too strong and either go pinging off into the ceiling cavities (leaving the spotlights hanging messily) or pull big chunks of the plasterboard down with them.

I wanted to use some proper plaster-based filler to tidy the fitting holes that the electricians drilled but cannot remove the light fittings because of the above problem. Therefore my question is: can I use a thin bead of silicone sealant to hide the messy gap between the ceiling and the spotlight holders? I've got some fire-proof white sealant but have no idea whether it's safe to block the gaps without it causing a dangerous build-up of heat in the ceiling cavity. All that's in the ceiling cavities are heating pipes, electrical cables, dust and dead spiders. The light fittings get hot when they're in use at you can imagine.

I would be very grateful for any help/advice anyone can give me, particularly if anyone has experience of sealing this kind of fitting. Replacing the bulbs for LEDs or some kind of cool bulb is something I'd like to do in the future but we have 28 of these things dotted throughout the house!

Many thanks!
Andy

Sponsored Links
No Andy, do not use sealant it will glue them in and will be a right pita to maintain later.

Best bet is to go through them room by room when you need to decorate the ceilings.

With power off, and bulb removed pull slowly but firmly on the fitting on one side. The aim is to get one of the retaining springs holding the unit to start to open. Once you have 1cm or so then go 180 degs and pull down on the other side. When you have drop the fittings 2cm or so the springs will 'fold' and the fitting will come out.

When all of the room you working on has been drop you can then make repair to the area around each.

Recently someone posted up some rings made of plastic that can be inserted into the hole before the fitting that prevents an damage to the plaster by the springs.

Anyone remember the post and could link?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MLHCW.html

comes with a whole fitting though

One thing that can work is once the lamp is out, use your fingers to gently pry up one retaining clip and just drop it out. Or on some you can just unhook the spring (so it doesn't fly off) and reattach later.

I nearly broke my little finger with one of those blighters (it was on a square recessed fitting so no gap to play with) just had to prise it out and it sprung round and got me on the knuckle. This was not your average clip either, it was meaty! Be warned

Nice try, but not those, these were a ring of plastic. The idea being you have a hole and the ring acts as a collar round the plasterboard edge. Then when the lampmfittin goes in or out the springs tension isn't on the plasterboard, it's on the plastic ring that protects the plasterboard.

Thing being that normal filler on a knackered hole, is a easy weak point the next time the fitting springs hit the repaired edge and often fails.

So back fill the damage, set in ring and decorate. Then when the fittings is pushed in it won't cause spring damage.

Anyone remember the post? I have looked, but can't find it.

Sponsored Links

Nice try, but not those, these were a ring of plastic. The idea being you have a hole and the ring acts as a collar round the plasterboard edge. Then when the lampmfittin goes in or out the springs tension isn't on the plasterboard, it's on the plastic ring that protects the plasterboard.

Thing being that normal filler on a knackered hole, is a easy weak point the next time the fitting springs hit the repaired edge and often fails.

So back fill the damage, set in ring and decorate. Then when the fittings is pushed in it won't cause spring damage.

Anyone remember the post? I have looked, but can't find it.

I was looking for that just the other day. And I just found it! http://www.litering.co.uk/

Doesn't seem like there's anywhere to easily buy them, though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back