Silicone sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having just spent most of Sunday decorating the bathroom in sealant, I just wanted to check the best method (as i didnt use masking tape) having read past posts:

1) Apply masking tape
2) Apply sealant (has anyone invented an easy gun to use yet?)
3) wet finger and smooth over
4) remove masking tape
5) Smooth again with wet finger? (I guess sides of beading would be lifted from the removal of masking tape?)

Is this all you need for a good finish?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Instead of using a wet finger you can use a washing up liquid, just keep dipping your finger in it...! Do not wash the washing up liquid off until the mastic bead has dried.

If you have never done this before, have a practice elsewhere first, its not easy to get the result that most people expect...!

After stripping off the masking tape, I do not touch again as its likely that the mastic bead will disfigure.

Hope this Helps... :LOL:

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

its not easy to get the result that most people expect...!

..to say the least! I reassure myself that by the time I sell the house I will get a new bathroom anyway.....

Gary59=Old Skool :)

is correct about the washing up liquid .....

Also you can get a cheap lil handy sealant tool from the sheds that is a good former for getting a boss finish every time instead of finger an tape

Sponsored Links
another point to note

you should fill the bath 2/3 full with water before applying silicone
otherwise when you first load the bath up it will pull at the join ;)

big-all said:
another point to note

you should fill the bath 2/3 full with water before applying silicone
otherwise when you first load the bath up it will pull at the join ;)

Cast iron baths excluded................... :D

You can put the mix of water and fairy liquid in one of those small flower spray bottles and soak the silicone, then use a forming tool, I use a lolli-pop stick, because I like lollies.................. :LOL:

Gary59 said:
Instead of using a wet finger you can use a washing up liquid, just keep dipping your finger in it...!
Saliva works too!

Softus said:
Gary59 said:
Instead of using a wet finger you can use a washing up liquid, just keep dipping your finger in it...!
Saliva works too!

just remember to swop fingers when go to do a bit more as it tastes horrible :oops: :D :D :D ;)

Softus said:
Gary59 said:
Saliva works too!

I can always remember doing an outside job on a block of flats where they were fixing new crittal type windows, they had a couple of blokes doing the old style mastic around them...its was easy to find them...you just looked for the trial of gob on the scaffold boards.. :mad: ...these guys used a stick what they seemed to have in their mouths permenantly

I wonder if they are still alive?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back