Silk and Matt paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I’ve recently been painting rooms in my first house and while the first bedroom went ok, the paint in the second bedroom has started cracking. Most of the rooms are matt finish and two tones (seperated by dado rails), but in this bedroom the lower section was a silk paint. I did not realise that painting matt over silk would result in this cracking effect till after I had already done the job.

I removed the dado rails then used a tin of dulux once, followed by a second coat of a standard white emulsion as the wall was a dark colour and the colour showed though. I used two coats of the dulux hints range. The cracking effect is hard to see at a distance but when you look close you can see it in patches, especially around the door frame where it was brushed.

Is there anything I can do to repair the paint work without having to strip it all and start again? Would putting up a base coat (such as a polycell basecoat) over the top and then painting another coat of matt emulsion deal with the issue or could I paint a coat of silk in the same colour directly over the top to cover the cracking? Would a mist coat of matt emulsion get into the cracks and allow a following coat of matt emulsion to stick? I would appreciate any ideas as it will be costly to strip the room and start again.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'd lightly sand the wall and repaint - you won't need to strip the paint. We encountered similar in our place, where the previous occupants had painted matt over silk.

We lightly sanded the walls, put a couple of white coats down (cheap 10ltr crown white matt), then three coats of crown matt colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back