Sime Super 90 MK II

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a Sime Super 90 MK II installed about 4 years ago and have had it serviced regularly and basically trouble free. However, for a few months, we've have a situation where, when the heating is on, the boiler fires up OK but after a period - that can vary from 30 mins to 3-4 hours - the boiler will not fire, although the pump continues to run. By turning the boiler switch off and back on, the boiler will then fire again etc etc... One of the upstairs rads also seems prone to air, but this could just be a leak somewhere in the system and unconnected ...

Domestic hot water is fine, as long as the heating is switched off, or on and running OK.

The guy who installed the boiler has said it's probably an ignition board but doesn't appear keen to come and fix the problem - which I find a little puzzling. He's also advised that I contact 'Sime technical' as I could replace the board myself. But I ain't a heating engineer and not keen to start now..!! However, I need to get this sorted, but really don't want to get into the position where I end up replacing every PCB in the boiler to solve the problem.

Sponsored Links
Sime are contactable on 0870 9911114 (From yell.co.uk) ... I called them and they confirmed the following -

Sounds like the Ignition PCB.

Check the part no. in the manual and obtain a replacement (I searched onlineboilerspares.co.uk - cost about £80).

Replacing it is a DIY job -

1. Turn off power!
2. Pull cover off front of boiler.
3. PCB is the small blue box.
4. Unscrew and pull the box off the gas valve.
5. Pull cover off box and carefully note connections inside.
6. Pull connectors off and transfer to new pcb.
7. Replace cover, push back on and reattach with screw.
8. Power up ... and all being well the boiler will stay on.

Mine does :D

Hope that helps,

JB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back