Simple Outdoor Timber Steps / avoid planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In order to avoid a DIY Disaster, I thought I would run my idea past you all!

I have an outdoor patio area off my bedroom which is a reinforced flat roof section of a room below. I want to be able to access the garden from it, so need some steps. I have a limited budget and do not want to apply for planning permission. The place for my proposed steps is out of sight of any neighbours.

I intend to build what is essentially just a mobile timber step ladder that I can butt up against the wall and ascend to reach my balcony area. It will be open tread, 240mm Length x 200mm Height, with 10 steps of 24mm run and 20mm rise. I intend to build a framework out of fence post, with 4x2 stringers, and then notch the stringers to accommodate the 10 steps (no risers).

Does this kind of design defeat building regs/planning permission, because it is not a permanent extension/redevelopment of the property?

Can anyone see a problem with my proposed design?

Your help is much appreciated!

Regards,
BP

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back