Simple shower tiling query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
A friend is going to install a shower; I am going to tile around my bath/up the wall before he comes to do it, after chasing out space for the water and power feeds.
The electric shower is getting installed on the wall above the taps.
The bath is in the opposite corner of the room to the door, so in many ways the focal point corner of the room when entering. It is a small bathroom - the sink is very close to the bath on this back wall.

I have a detailed plan for everything I need to do, but haven't come to a firm decision regarding one detail of the tiling.

I have 147mm that match the tiles currently tiled three rows above the bath all the way round.

Basically the issue is that there is about 81cm of the back wall to be tiled. Currently it is tiled with 5 * 150mm (including grouting) tiles with a 60mm cut off tiles in the corner which is the focal point of the room. Do I keep with this, or do I take 15mm off a load of tiles (tedious I guess but I want as good a job as possible so might be prepared to do it, and have 6 * 135mm tiles on this wall?

I think it is probably daft to cut a load of tiles. I have no idea whether the narrower tiles on that wall would be particularly noticeable - maybe they would.

Finally, if I keep with the 5*150mm tile and 60mm offcut tile, should it always go in the corner? Would it not look better on the other edge of the bath as a kind of border type thing!?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ron

Sponsored Links
You tile it to make the room aesthetically pleasing as possible, it difficult understand or visualize they issue you are trying to put across.

Also please note, electrical shower circuits in domestic properties require building control notification and an electrical installation certificate should be issued, this is a legal requirement. You will also need 30mA RCD protection for the shower.
Do not be getting a friend to install it unless they are electrically competent in the eyes of the law, they are able to install & document the installation in compliance to BS7671 and either make an application prior to the work starting to building controls or if they are registered with scheme provider can self cert!
It's not only your life, it is anybody who can be affected by this installation, this includes family, friends, visitors, pets and your neighbours.
Don't be a mug!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back