Single Cold Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Hoping for a little advice or some tips!

One radiators in my house has suddenly stopped getting hot. The pipes leading to it are also cold.
A little concerned because it's next to the front door, the coldest part of the house (certainly the coldest now!), and wondering if the pipe has frozen somewhere. All other radiators are working fine.

Any suggestions or tips?? Thanks...

Sponsored Links
More than likely the pipes have frozen, if you can access the pipes, then a hairdryer works well.

Opening the door to allow warm air from inside will help.

Hi Billy,
I've only just joined this site as I have the same problem with two radiators in my house. I read elsewhere on here that you can either remove the top from the TVR (which is the thermostat control on the bottom right hand side of the radiator) and if the little lever is in a downward position, then tap it with a hammer or something to put it back into the upright position) or take the lid off the knob on the left hand side and turn that one way or another. As you can hear I'm not at all technical about this, and I would definitely advise trying to find the original threads as they will give you the correct answer, unlike my gobblegook above.

I've tried one of the two above, but I can't remove the TVR. Mine is a MYSON - does anyone know how to get the lid off - I've tried jemmying it (between the white bit and the black bit at the bottom) with a flat screwdriver but it won't budge. Is that right?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

With many thanks
Pauline

More than likely the pipes have frozen, if you can access the pipes, then a hairdryer works well.

Opening the door to allow warm air from inside will help.
Quick update - took your advice and used the gf's hairdryer to gradually warm as much as I could see, and parts where the pipes are covered. After about 2-3 hours of heating it on and off the radiator suddenly became hot and everything has been fine since (touch wood). Thanks for your help.

Unlike my next-door neighbour. First her outdoor tap pipe split, spraying the garden for a few hours until I found it (fortunately had a key and shut it off). Then at midnight on Saturday she woke to the sound of a groaning boiler and a burst pipe in the ceiling of her hallway, with water flooding out of the walls and making a right old mess. Then yesterday she found a problem with the toilet overflow which has got into the concrete.

Her dad is a builder and either fixes things himself or gets his lads in - there's a long list of problems have gone wrong with her relying on him for everything.

Paulinec - nothing I can suggest I'm afraid! Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Hello Guys, I have got a situation
there is a newly built extension in my house and its radiator does not work and has not been working for the past 3 years
I thought it was the valve so i changed it , then i thought might be the sludge blocking the pipes so i used the Sentinel X400 sludge remover with no joy
I am just wondering what else I should do
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back