single oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have just purchased a single oven. Was told when this was purchased that it would have standard three prong plug to plug into wall socket.
Our old oven was confingured in this way. It arrived and in fact seems to have to be wired into mains. When I questioned this I was told that all single ovens are supplied like this and have to be under UK government legislation. Is this correct??

Sponsored Links
all i have seen have a plug, what rating is it? you may be able to plug it in

Has no cable and not sure of rating.......supplier has just told me that under UK law all single ovens have to be wired into mains and can not have standard plug....

depends on rating, have you not looked all over cooker yet, it must have a rating plate some where (or look in its manual)

Sponsored Links
andrewmacdonald said:
supplier has just told me that under UK law all single ovens have to be wired into mains and can not have standard plug....
Does his breath stink? 'cos he's talking out of his ****.

If you can be bothered, ask him which law.

In the meantime, get a plug and some heatproof 1.5mm² or greater 3-core flex.

Assuming the oven is built in, you are aware I take it of your obligation to notify your local council's Building Control dept that you are going to be installing it?

ban-all-sheds said:
Assuming the oven is built in, you are aware I take it of your obligation to notify your local council's Building Control dept that you are going to be installing it?
ban-all-sheds, are you are refering to Part P for electrics? I wasn't aware you had to notify the Building Control for built in appliances? If you have a part P approved electrican doing the installation, do you still need to notify them? Or do you need a planing permission for it? I'm just a bit confused here... :rolleyes:

JayS said:
ban-all-sheds, are you are refering to Part P for electrics?
Yup

I wasn't aware you had to notify the Building Control for built in appliances?
Part P applies to:

fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer's side of the electricity supply meter

and in kitchens the only work exempt from notification is:

Work consisting of -

(a) replacing any socket-outlet, control switch or ceiling rose;

(b) replacing a damaged cable for a single circuit only;

(c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected;

(d) providing mechanical protection to an existing fixed installation, where the circuit protective measures and current carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by the increased thermal insulation.

If you have a part P approved electrican doing the installation, do you still need to notify them?
No - he does that after the event.

Or do you need a planing permission for it?
No - planning permission is not required.

And this whole thing highlights what an unjustifiable and cynical exercise Part P is....

Thanks ban-all-sheds! That's what I thought. :)

(c) re-fixing or replacing enclosures of existing installation components, where the circuit protective measures are unaffected;
This covers what I need to do anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back