Single phase circuit using 4 core SWA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per my last post I'm planning a rewire for my new house, part of it includes a feed to the workshop outbuilding. I'm pretty sure it's brought in by twin and earth at the moment...hopefully in at least a conduit but nothing would surprise me (its still got a metal clad 3036 fuse board original to the house)

I used to do industrial sparking so have loads of 4 core 10 & 16mm SWA kicking about, is there anything to stop me using this for a single phase circuit (obviously would make sure the ends are sleeved as appropriate if need be). I'm pretty sure what I've got is in new colours, but out of interest if its in old colours is it OK if I was to either sleeve it or stick a 'colours to 2 versions of BS7671' sticker on? What should I do with the spare core, leave it disconnected and cut it short, or earth it both ends? Suppose that's one way of getting an epic Zs lol.

I know it probably sounds mega overkill but it's free, and SWA is expensive![/list]

Sponsored Links
I see nothing wrong with using the cable.
Clearly marked of course.
Unused cores should be earthed to stop inductance and capacitive links making them live. I would tend to double up even if it does not need the power.

What is more of a problem is deciding what earthing method to use and digging into ones pocket to pay the LABC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back