Single pipe system with radiator below circulating loop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an issue with a single radiator on our heating system not getting hot. Would appreciate some advice. Setup is as follows:

- 2 story house (submerged basement + above ground living floor). Solid concrete construction
- Single pipe system, with a large bore (40mm) steel circulating pipe
- Circulating pipe is routed *between* the two floors - i.e. in ceiling of basement, floor of living area.
- 9 radiators on living area (above) circulating pipe - which all work fine
- 1 radiator in only heated room in basement i.e. BELOW the circulating pipe loop (I think you can guess where this is going…)

- Some radiators have thermostatic valves, some normal manual (static) valve. None of radiators have lock shield vales
- No visible lock shield valve on the overall system - on return leg etc

Obviously there are issues with above (missing thermostatic and lock shield valves). However generally the system works quite well, if a bit slowly.

The main problem is with the basement radiator which is *below* the circulating loop, and never gets hot. Unless I am being very stupid, reason is obvious. In a single pipe system you rely on a thermocycle to drive the water between the rad and main circulating pipe. Hot (less dense) water in flow pipe rises up into radiator, cold (more dense) water 'falls' out into pipe. Therefore the radiator *has to be above* the circulating loop for this to work. If it's below (this case) the HW just flows on the bypass leg of the pipe and never goes to rad.

If this is correct, I'm at a loss to understand why it was ever installed like this, and if it ever worked at all. Rest of system looks quite professionally done. It might have been added later, though this is not clear. It might be there was a swept bend or constriction, which was capable of driving the flow down into radiator but I doubt it.

To make it even odder, it looks like the feed pipe to radiator (fitted to top, with thermostat) is tapped off the circulating pipe flow after the return (which I think again is complete wrong). As it's buried in concrete I can't confirm this without a lot of disruption.

So, assuming I am correct, what are solutions? Things I can think of:

- Use an electric heater for this room (what we've been doing last 5 years)
- Convert whole system to a two pipe or micro bore system (doesn't seem worth effort)
- Run a separate two pipe loop to this radiator alone (would require some balancing valve between 2 and 1 pipe parts I assume) - again lot of work.
- Install a independent small inline pump in feed to radiator, to drive HW down into it from above.

I was favoring last one as less disruption, and could just be switched off when room is not used (most of the time).

Any thoughts on this very welcome.

Cheers

Rick

Sponsored Links
If you close the valves to other rads on system does the problem rad become warm?

Generally incorrect radiator sizing will cause issues on one pipe systems.

Closing all the other valves doesn't help, rad still stays cold. Also this rad is mid way along loop. Rads before and after it get hot.all of this seems consistent with fact that placing a rad below circulation loop on a one pipe systems is fundamentally wrong as no way for the hot flow to be driven down into it?

Sponsored Links
Would need to see an as fitted drawing to comment.

But assuming a few things if the, shall we call it the flow pipe rose up a couple of feet before dropping then it could probably be made to work.

Usual problem with one pipe systems is the trvs are the wrong type not designed for one pipe systems

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back