Single pitched roof construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll get some photos up tomorrow when I visit the house next but I wonder if anyone can offer some insight into the design of the single pitched roof of the extension on my victorian terrace. All of the images of roofs I've looked at on google have the rafters overhanging the walls but on mine, the rafters go down and terminate at the top of the inner row of wall (it's a double later of solid brick).

I've inadvertently exposed the base of one of the rafters (closest to where the extension roof meets the house external wall) and the end of the rafter is rotting. I'm going to look into resolving this by treating the wood and perhaps sistering if the damage is excessive. This particular rafter was resting on top of motor as a few bricks were missing from that section of wall.

I've attached a few photos from the inside and out. You can see at the base of the roof from the inside, where the plasterboard is against the brickwork, underneath, the rafter sits on the bricks, many of which have no mortar and are tilting towards the roof. The one that's rotting (not pictured) wasn't even supported by a brick.

Attachments

• roof1.jpg
    roof1.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 144
  • roof2.jpg
    roof2.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 154
Sponsored Links
Is the construction method I've described unusual? I need to repair the deteriorating wood but no point if there's a flaw in the design and it's going to happen again. Is there a reason most of the photos I've seen differ to my roof? The way the roof is joined to the house also seems a bodge. I'll get photos up for that section tomorrow. Thanks.

Is the zero overhang design due to boundary issues? In terms of aesthetics and design, it does look pants. Especially the eaves height. A new roof will need to consider the SVP etc and how to deal with the WC junction.

Sponsored Links
I'll get some photos up tomorrow when I visit the house next but I wonder if anyone can offer some insight into the design of the single pitched roof of the extension on my victorian terrace. All of the images of roofs I've looked at on google have the rafters overhanging the walls but on mine, the rafters go down and terminate at the top of the inner row of wall (it's a double later of solid brick).

I've inadvertently exposed the base of one of the rafters (closest to where the extension roof meets the house external wall) and the end of the rafter is rotting Pittsburgh roofing contractor. I'm going to look into resolving this by treating the wood and perhaps sistering if the damage is excessive. This particular rafter was resting on top of motor as a few bricks were missing from that section of wall.

I've attached a few photos from the inside and out. You can see at the base of the roof from the inside, where the plasterboard is against the brickwork, underneath, the rafter sits on the bricks, many of which have no mortar and are tilting towards the roof. The one that's rotting (not pictured) wasn't even supported by a brick.

There is no way I would put a roof there with no overhang. is it due to property lines? Otherwise extend it out

Thanks for the replies everyone. I never received notifications so assumed nobody replied.

Just to make is clear, it's the roof on top of the two storey extension, I'm well aware of the terrible state of the single extension. I've since removed the plasterboard ceiling and the rotting rafter has clearly rotted before because it was actually sistered to the original rafter higher up, which had been cut cleanly, presumably to get rid of rot? It's a tricky issue to diagnose as that corner of the bathroom was a cupboard with a radiator in when we bought the house and was used for drying wet towels! There's also a wooden lintel which spans most of the width of the back of the house (until it gets to the adjacent bedroom's window) and a large section of that lintel has rotted in the same location and been replaced, though not properly in my view, especially as it's supporting corbelling above it where the single skin wall changes back to double skin.

The guttering on the outside in that corner is near completely full of mud, so I'm wondering if that corner gets really full in heavy rain and it seeps back under the felt somehow to get that corner set inside, does that seem plausible? It's draining it's own rain and the roof above it at that point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back