Single skin garage

Tjs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm planning to turn my garage into a games room, the garage walls are single skin brick. I intend too stud the inside either 50mm or 100mm, when striking the stud work is it best to put the batons against the wall or leave a little gap?

[/img]

Sponsored Links
It's best to leave a small gap, if you can do so. It's less important if you don't have a wet wall, but good practice - don't forget the vapour barrier. You could do 50mm betwixt the studs, and 100mm on top of the stud?

Thanks. I was gonna do 100mm, and the walls are bone dry. I was going to use foil backed plasterboard. Would that take care of the vapour barrier or would a membrane on the wall be needed? I will leave a inch gap between wall and stud work.

I believe foil backed is fine, as long as you tape the joints. You shouldn't need a breathable membrane on the wall if you leave a gap. As long as the vapour barrier is on the warm side, as it will be using foil board, you're sitting pretty.

Just make sure you plan ahead for where things will be wall mounted, if any. :)

Sponsored Links
Brill, is there certain stuff you need for the joints? Yeh I've going to put in ply where stuff will be wall mounted. Thanks

Hi for insulation purposes would it matter if I was to use either cavity slab insulation or the normal insulation you put in the loft to insulate the walls?

Slab would certainly be easier, but what's its thermal value compared to Celotex? As space is at a premium, you'll ideally want the best you can afford. Certainly a job you only want to do once.

Absolutely. I reckon celotex would be the better out of the listed. If I was to use celotex would that mean I wouldn't really need to use foil backed plasterboard?

If I remember rightly, the celotex I used had a foil backing, so that should do you fine. :)

I suppose using celotex would even itself out. Celotex more expensive but can get away with normal board or get foil back board and use cheaper insulation. Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back