Site crash?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has diynot been offline for the last couple of days? I haven't been able to access it from home or work, and notice no-one has posted since Saturday!

Glad to see it back, I was getting withdrawal symptoms! :D

Sponsored Links
This was the longest no-access period I have come across on diynot. Could it be my end? I rand Demon and asked them, but they had the same problem and couldn't get through. I then looked up addresses, phone numbers and other possible alternative contact methods. NOTHING.

Would it be a good idea if diynot arranged for some way of posting a site status for info about outages? After all, if I'm not mistaken, they make their money from advertisers, but they get people looking at the site which has its draw as a result of mugs like us spending loads of time for no reward answering questions from people, some of whom are just too tight to pay for a professional, (so they gain as well). (Rant, rant, rant.)

Sponsored Links
I was beginning to think I had been a norty boy and they were blocking me BB style.....

Seriously, though, I have coincidentally had a problem accessing other sites, so thought it was a problem with my browser. I have the engineer coming on Friday, as I still have problems accessing BigBertha.com......

Phew ! thank god it's back, I was getting on my missus nerves :LOL:

I did mention a while back that my firewall had picked up the presence of a worm/virus I wonder if that eventually brought the site down?

Nah, doubt it. Remember the diynot server runs on Linux. Thus your Windows computer giving it a virus would be as likely as passing on a virus to sheep by kissing them. So don't feel bad Kendor. Unless you test my sheep virus theory. That just ain't cool, man! ;)

Do we know if the server is located at an internet "server farm", or is it at someone's house/office? If it is the latter then if the particular person was on holiday when there was a hard-disc crash or similar it would cause a delay.

originally i was concerned for others using this site as although i didn't get the virus for one thing my firewall blocked it, the advice i got was that it will sit on a server and wait for XP and 2000 users to strike properly my old ME system wouldn't be affected. but the latest prolification of viruses are causing havoc especially at work where the network has gone down several times in the past few weeks.

AdamW said:
.....Do we know if the server is located at an internet "server farm", or is it at someone's house/office? If it is the latter then if the particular person was on holiday when there was a hard-disc crash or similar it would cause a delay.

Pop in here, just Whois that! ;)

Another of my favourite sites went down at exactly the same time as DIYnot, and came back up at exactly the same time too. An explanation on their site says the outage was caused by the failure of a router belonging to their service provider, MCI-WorldCom. Maybe DIYnot share the same provider?

ninebob said:
Another of my favourite sites went down at exactly the same time as DIYnot, and came back up at exactly the same time too. An explanation on their site says the outage was caused by the failure of a router belonging to their service provider, MCI-WorldCom. Maybe DIYnot share the same provider?

i bet it was the cleaner, unpluged it to plug in vacuum cleaner

pipme said:
AdamW said:
.....Do we know if the server is located at an internet "server farm", or is it at someone's house/office? If it is the latter then if the particular person was on holiday when there was a hard-disc crash or similar it would cause a delay.

Pop in here, just Whois that! ;)

Cheers dude, forgot you could do that :D

A few years ago I used to Whois every attempted attack on my PC and e-mail the network admin to report it. Ah, back in the days when you could be sure it was just some dumb script kiddie. Never did any good to e-mail their net admin though.

I tried to get my own back once. I thought "right, I'll fight fire with fire" so attempted to install, amongst other things, Back Orifice (one of the best "hacking" tools ever, term used loosely as a proper hacker wouldn't need it and would call it lame!). Of course when I tried to install what was effectively a virus on my PC, Norton started shouting bad things at me so I had to cancel. Would have been pretty funny though, some idiot somewhere trying to attack my machine, then ends up getting his written off 2 minutes later! :LOL:

AdamW said:
... I tried to get my own back once. I thought "right, I'll fight fire with fire" so attempted to install, amongst other things, Back Orifice (one of the best "hacking" tools ever, term used loosely as a proper hacker wouldn't need it and would call it lame!). Of course when I tried to install what was effectively a virus on my PC, Norton started shouting bad things at me so I had to cancel. Would have been pretty funny though, some idiot somewhere trying to attack my machine, then ends up getting his written off 2 minutes later! :LOL:

Perhaps, one day we will form massive 'posees' of peed off web users, hunting down, in a co-ordinated manner, those who would abuse the web, then we could make their life a misery !!
But, as always, there remains the burden of proof .... Which will (should) always temper the desire to get 'even' ..

------------------------------o0o----------------------------
Useful, Convert Host/Domain Name to IP Address and vice versa Click here

But this is the one, here too

Have a splendid day, out there ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back