sizing newly plastered walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to hang wallpaper onto newly plastered walls. The wallpaper manufacturer recommends the use of ready mixed paste.
Will it be ok to size the walls in usual way i.e. thinly mixed solvite, or will I need to thin down the ready mixed paste ?
I usually apply size 1 or 2 days before hanging the paper.

Sponsored Links
If it were my house and i wanted to paper a newly plastered wall i'd prep the wall with zinsser guardz to protect it from the paper.

Its always best to go with what paper manufacturers suggest, mainly because if there's a problem they wont give you any sort of 'warranty' if you havn't followed their advice. I think it would be fine to give the walls a paste size using solvite or even a packet of cheaper paste.

Homebase do ready mixed solvite and its half the price it is in my local Brewers.

thin some normal solvite down 50/50 and coat the new plaster. I normaly leave it to dry for the length of time it takes me to set up my board, mix my paste (solvite) and cut my lengths!(probably a coffee in there as well)
i've put hundreds of rolls on that said ready mixed with ordinary paste and never had a problem yet. If anything its going to cause more headaches

Sponsored Links
mickthebrush";p="1897783 said:
thin some normal solvite down 50/50 and coat the new plaster. I normaly leave it to dry for the length of time it takes me to set up my board, mix my paste (solvite) and cut my lengths!(probably a coffee in there as well)
[Mick, Am I leaving it too long between sizing and hanging, or does it not matter that much ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back