skim coating plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can someone give me an idea or price range typical for skim coating new plasterboards which are already up? How thick in mm is a skim usually? I had my builder try taping and jointing but my walls are too uneven for him to get a good enough result where the joints don't show.

I am within the m25 if that makes a difference.

work is for all walls and ceilings in house with 9/10 foot ceilings. House is approx 25ft x30ft, 2 floors.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi can someone give me an idea or price range typical for skim coating new plasterboards which are already up?
Between £160 & £220/day; depending.

How thick in mm is a skim usually?

Around 2-4mm but thicker is possible if you know what you’re doing ;) ; but it depends on circumstances & what your trying to achieve?

I had my builder try taping and jointing but my walls are too uneven for him to get a good enough result where the joints don't show.
Who put the PB up? Can you post photos? from your question regarding thickness of skim, it sounds as if you have some problems! Either whoever put the boards up has made a complete boll ocks of it or he’s conning you; but virtually nothing is irretrievable! :LOL:

I am within the m25 if that makes a difference. work is for all walls and ceilings in house with 9/10 foot ceilings. House is approx 25ft x30ft, 2 floors.
What relevance is that, it gives no indication of what’s involved :confused: are you expecting someone on here to quote or just hoping for a “good fairy” visit :LOL:

You need to get several quotes but thems are high walls & if your within the M25 circle, the price is likely to be nearer £220/day or even higher.

I think that 1-3 mm would be more than sufficient, the walls are not *that* off where the seams meet. I don't understand the question about what I want to achieve- it is plain that I want perfectly smooth walls. I don't need any special plaster damp proof or otherwise mixture if that's what you mean.

No it is not my builders fault at all, and he is not conning me. I saw the work done he got the walls as close to even as humanly possible given how uneven they were after we removed all of the plaster and we battened.

but OH MY GOSH 220 a day is very pricey especially not knowing how much area could be completely finished in that time. ie if I could get 2 rooms and a hallway for that, maybe it isn't such a bad deal you see. The house is about 130m2 floor space + 9ft high ceilings on 2 floors, is that helpful?

I can upload a photo but really, all you'll see is seams where plasterboards meet.

tricky to quote for on the info given, a good guide on price would be around £80 a wall and probably a little more for the ceiling, maybe around £400 a room...including materials of course.

Sponsored Links
a good guide on price maybe around £400 a room...including materials of course.

Thanks... does everyone concur on price and, how much time on average does it take to complete a room? ie. room size 20m2. 1 day? 3 days, a week?
And, how many people do the work- 1 guy or a 2 man team?

regards,

I see Trowelmonkey beat me to it ;)

I think that 1-3 mm would be more than sufficient, the walls are not *that* off where the seams meet.
Plaster contains small particles of grit which will “pull” across & mark the surface of the wall if you attempt to skim too thinly; 1.5mm is around the minimum, thicker where you need to make up discrepancies in levels. It’s also usual to apply 2 skim coats in quick succession to ensure a flat smooth finish, hence the 3-5mm.

I don't understand the question about what I want to achieve- it is plain that I want perfectly smooth walls.
Well yes I rather gathered that, it’s usually what’s required :rolleyes: . What I meant by it was that it’s possible to make up fairly large discrepancies in levels if you need to just by using finishing plaster but if the levels are bad, it would be best to fill out with Bonding plaster before skimming but this obviously takes longer.

No it is not my builders fault at all, and he is not conning me. I saw the work done he got the walls as close to even as humanly possible given how uneven they were after we removed all of the plaster and we battened.
Fine; if it’s as you say, there should be no problems. Was it not possible to dot & dab the boards? It’s much quicker & usually a much easier way to get the boards perfectly flat & level.
but OH MY GOSH 220 a day is very pricey especially not knowing how much area could be completely finished in that time. ie if I could get 2 rooms and a hallway for that, maybe it isn't such a bad deal you see. The house is about 130m2 floor space + 9ft high ceilings on 2 floors, is that helpful?
How much did you expect to pay for what is a very skilled trade, especially within the M25? The only way you’re going to know is get several quotes & my advice would be use only someone that’s comes recommended & go look at their work if you can. There are many “moonlighters” around who call themselves plasterers but in reality they aren’t but you will only know by the appearance of your walls once they’ve finished; a quick read through the archive posts on this forum will throw up many horror stories. A perfect finish will only be achieved by an experienced plasterer; Here in Norfolk, the prices tend to be cheaper so £220 would be the very top end but perhaps there are spreads nearer to your location that can advise. You may get a very good guy still learning & gaining experienced much cheaper but I would be very wary of any price below £160/day within the M25 & that’s just for a spread working on his own; with the high walls you have & if the rooms are large, he may need a labourer to mix for him & that will probably push the price up to around £300/day. One average room per day for a guy on his own is a guide but not including the ceiling. A good team of 2 will work much quicker but it’s highly unlikely you will get 2 rooms & a hall done for that; especially if that includes the ceilings! Get quotes not estimates & only pay for the materials up front (no more than 20%) & don’t pay he balance until you’ve seen the finished result & are satisfied.

I can upload a photo but really, all you'll see is seams where plasterboards meet.
By all means if you want me to have a look. Just to be clear, I’m not looking for work at the moment & only ever work locally but there may be others here interested.

I have just skimmed a 18 sq metre ceiling this morning, My labourer and I started at about 9-30 and everything was cleaned up and away by 1 o/clock. Ceiling was already boarded and I taped all the joints and skimmed them first (Tapered edged board was used so I always bring them out flush before I start to skim the ceiling, also put a touch of cement in the mix so they had gone off before i coated the ceiling) I was on stilts so there was no setting out with boards or tressels I put two coats on and as I was working at the guys house who I subcontract to I did it on my usual hourly rate. If it had been for a customer I would have charged £200. Walls are a lot easier but you are still looking at about £40 an hour for a plasterer and labourer....( Thats if you employed me ;) )

In my opinion/experience, the most efficient way to tackle any significant area of plastering is by using a 2&1 gang, i.e. two spreads and one (very good) labourer.

You can cover acres per day this way. ;)

You can hit a pair of ceilings in the morning then do opposite walls till yer arms drop off. The downstairs of a semi could be spread in a day.

But, it depends upon what you value - quality or quantity. :cool:

In my opinion/experience, the most efficient way to tackle any significant area of plastering is by using a 2&1 gang, i.e. two spreads and one (very good) labourer.

You can cover acres per day this way. ;)

You can hit a pair of ceilings in the morning then do opposite walls till yer arms drop off. The downstairs of a semi could be spread in a day.

But, it depends upon what you value - quality or quantity. :cool:

I agree, but most of the work I do now is "Private" work and sometimes very varied, and I very rarely do "price" work now. But if you are "chasing" the money then a two (or three) to one gang is the way to go. And its important to have a special labourer who is well paid too.I dont have to worry about speed or getting in and getting out , so I can do a proper job and not have to cut corners. You do get what you pay for!!!(Sometimes ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back