Skimming advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so being very handy and enjoying having a crack at anything I decided to skim the walls and the ceiling in our lounge. Bear in mind I had never mixed or applied multi finish in my life but nonetheless wanted to have a go. I spent hours reading whatever I could get my hands on and watched countless videos online and went for it. The walls went great ( doing opposites to avoid damage) and I am incredibly proud of how it looks. The ceiling I saved until last mainly because I wanted to get a feel for it (if I do this again I would probably start with the ceiling) by the time I had finished I felt like a professional :D and have not been so proud of something like that for a long time considering I had been warned against trying I'm really pleased I did . Looking back at the first wall I did, there are some slight marks which I missed. My question is .......
How do I go about putting another skim over it ? is it possible ? is it wise ? would I need to PVA it ?
Your opinions and help would be wonderful. Thanks for reading and sorry about the life story :D

( the wall in question was skimmed about 5 days ago)

Sponsored Links
If you want to skim over plastered walls, you will need to apply a two coat PVA primer, let one set and the second go tacky.
It is best to start with ceilings first, mainly because of the mess it can cause to previously plastered walls.
If the blemishes are minor fill and sand down, easi-fill is what I use when needed, it's not cheap but does the job and if you look after the bag it can stay good for some time. 150-180 grit paper for sanding.
Glad you have enjoyed your experience at plastering, shocked that you took on rather a daunting task for a maiden voyage. But well done mate, it can be quite enjoyable at times.

Apply a mist coat before patching up as some blemishes won't even show whilst others that didn't - will.

The walls went great ( doing opposites to avoid damage) and I am incredibly proud of how it looks. The ceiling I saved until last mainly because I wanted to get a feel for it (if I do this again I would probably start with the ceiling) by the time I had finished I felt like a professional :D and have not been so proud of something like that for a long time considering I had been warned against trying I'm really pleased I did . Looking back at the first wall I did, there are some slight marks which I missed.

Glad to hear it went well.
I found the same when I first started doing a bit DIY - though wasn't bold enough to claim professional status ;)

Having completed the house just about now (so I've not done masses), the walls I did in the first room are a good way from the recent ones.
At the time I remember being very pleased with them. You may find as you go on, the bar raises and your standards get higher.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your input guys. I was told to do a discrete wall in an unused room as my first attempt lol, so using the lounge as a starting point was pretty brave. I loved it and may even look into doing a course. My ceiling is the best yet and is really smooth. Will apply a mist coat to check for anything really nasty, perhaps its just me being over critical.

Thanks again
:LOL:

so using the lounge as a starting point was pretty brave. I loved it and may even look into doing a course. My ceiling is the best yet and is really smooth.
It was brave!
Ceilings are v tough, so done well there. I did a course. Money well spent. Of course is only covering the basics. It's the practice following that counts. Bit like driving I guess.

As previously said, try to do the ceilings first, apart from pva there are other bonding agents such as;
Wickes pba
Thistle bond it
Febond blue grit.
Blue grit is coloured so it helps to see where you have applied it.
If your using pva, add some food dye to show where you have painted/rollered it on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back