skimming ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all ,i skimmed a ceiling today with multi finish plaster i boarded it myself but there was one board already in place looked like it had been there some time (different colour yellowy surface) when i put the skim on it seamed to dry instantly on the old board ,i had to give it a few coats on that area struggled to do the job. any idea if plaster boards can cause this????? i thought maybe its got damp and dried out???
thanks damien

should i have unibonded the old plasterboard or not used it????????

Sponsored Links
You left ONE old board that was a different colour? Why???

It's probably been put up with the face to the ceiling.

Boards that have been fixed for a long time, dry out, hence why you had some suction. Some years ago I did a ceiling in Lanzarote, soon as the skim was applied, you could see it going in, also had no pva, in the end I hosed the ceiling down with just enough water until it changed colour, then skimmed it.

Sponsored Links
Boards are always dry, makes no difference how long they've been there.

Don't be silly darling. Leave the plastering to the Brits. :mrgreen:

Years ago plasterboard had 2 sides (as it does now) but one side was for decorating on and the other was for plastering on. The "white" side was for decorating on!!! So there may lay your answer, if that was the case then putting some unibond on it would probably help.. ;)

If plasterboard is left up for a long time, it will dry in quicker and needs sealing then plaster applied to tacky PVA (or better still bondit/WBA 24 hours before plastering..)

I don't think the 'wrong' side will matter much. If it is yellow ish, the it sounds like ivory side left up a while.

Either way, I've used PVA before in these situations with no problem.

Try putting them up the right way then darling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back