Skirting Adhesive Help/Advice please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Not sure if this would be best here or in “Decorating” but any insight/help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance ....

We have had a new conservatory added – Quick Step laminate flooring has gone down in there and we have matching Quick Step Parquet Skirting (77x14mm) to go with it but as yet not fitted.

We also decided we would like to match this with new skirting into the lounge - although designed for laminates I was hopeful I could use adhesive to fix to the existing walls and in places some new planed timber (that has had a coat of emulsion) as I had to box/hide some new central heating pipes.

The skirting though whilst having a nice laminate surface appears to be constructed from almost paper/cardboard formed into shape under extremely high pressure, anyway - I cut, mitred, scribed and fitted several lengths over the weekend.

I ended up choosing Gripfill Yellow putting two beads on the back along the full length – concrete floor but I screwed several 2x2 batons at regular intervals to hold into place.

Been back this morning, removed the batons but there has been no real “adhesion” at any point – I have been able just to gently prise each length away from the wall – hardly any adhesive adhered to the wall and that on the back of the skirting could, easily be knocked off and other than drying hasn't adhered to the back of the skirting at all. It just seems to have dried and cracked !

As mentioned some sections are being fitted to a planed timber back which has had an emulsion coat whilst others to Plasterboard.

Couple of pictures attached but have I ended up with some out of date Gripfil or is it just not suitable for the job and I should be looking at some alternative “No More Nails” product ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Rgds
Freddy

Skirting_Gripfill_1.jpg Skirting_Gripfill_2.jpg

Attachments

• Skirting_Gripfill_1.jpg
    Skirting_Gripfill_1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 615
  • Skirting_Gripfill_2.jpg
    Skirting_Gripfill_2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 673
Sponsored Links
I can empathise. Gripfill writes cheques their product can't cash. They say it will stick to smooth surfaces, but it's not true, it just peels off. Both surfaces need a reasonable key, and you MUST push the object back and forth under pressure, to squidge the adhesive into a thin layer that penetrates the key, and to break the dry skin on the adhesive (it gets a dry skin within seconds of leaving the tube!). I won't be buying it again. I suspect No More Nails would be more useful.

As Gerry says you must push the product back and forth to get a good grip as well as roughing the back surfaces to get more of a mechanical bond, but having used some thousands of tubes of the solvent-based (green) GripFill I'd have to disagree with the comment that, "Gripfill writes cheques their product can't cash". I think the problem lies with using the yellow (solvent-free) version of the product which not only takes a lot longer to go off (up to 2 or 3 days at times), especially in colder weather. but which also has a far shorter shelf life and can be destroyed by storage where a frost has been allowed to get at it. I mainly use it on pre-finished solid timber skirtings and the like. In the main, though I can keep the joints under pressure by pinning the mouldings into position - did you have any form of cramp or pressure to keep the skirtings in place whilst the adhesive went off?

BTW, Gerry, I can't recall the solvent-free GripFill skinning - that's more of a feature of any (all?) or the solvent-based grip adhesives, with Pink Grip being the absolute worst to use in very warm weather because it skins so quickly.

Hi Guys

Many thanks for the input....

I went with Gripfill Yellow after looking at various adhesive related posts on the likes of here – quite a minefield of instant grip stuff out there but maybe the wrong choice ?

From memory there is a batch code on the tube but no clear manufacture or expiry date to hint that could be a contributing factor.

It might have been a bit of an oversight on my part not to score/key – the back of the skirting though is a “smooth'ish” paper based backing by the look feel.

I can rough up the back of the skirting a little and try to score/key the wall and timber for a second take but I don't always have much lateral or even vertical movement though especially on the sections I was playing with over the weekend – either wall to wall or wall to pipework that I was using as cover for joins - guess I'll have to waggle as much as can !

JobandKnock – yes I certainly tried to get as much even pressure on the face as best I could and put several 12” lengths of 2 x 2 on the face –with several plastic packing pieces in between to ensure positive pressure applied (Screwed down into plugged concrete floor).

I was wary of the solvent based stuff because I wanted to make sure I could wipe off excess on the laminate facia easily – perhaps I should look at a solvent based option though ?

Give Gripfill Green a go or try something else – if so which one ??

Thanks again, appreciated.

Rgds
Freddy.

Sponsored Links
That's mdf, I have used fixing foam on all my skirting, only needs holding in place 1/2 hour and sticks very firmly.Excess wipes of easily with cleaner or petrol based sprays .[I use carb cleaner].

Thanks Fox

Does the “Fixing” foam have less expansion properties than other "Expanding" foam or is it pretty generic – might just be wary of it expanding a bit too much and pushing the skirting away as this seems to be pretty flexible.

I should perhaps try with a couple of sample pieces so see what alternatives might work best. I need to be careful on one wall though as it has already been papered so making a mess will get me into bother !

Thanks again guys.

Freddy

You could try a polyurethane construction/grab adhesive - there are a few about.

Other adhesives (that may or may not be PU) I've used are:
Evo stik - 'Sticks Like S***'
Nemesis instant grab (from Screwfix)

Fixing foam is polyurethane btw - as is gorilla glue although you'd need to keep clamping pressure on GG for a while to stop it pushing away.

Thanks Fox

Does the “Fixing” foam have less expansion properties than other "Expanding" foam or is it pretty generic – might just be wary of it expanding a bit too much and pushing the skirting away as this seems to be pretty flexible.

I should perhaps try with a couple of sample pieces so see what alternatives might work best. I need to be careful on one wall though as it has already been papered so making a mess will get me into bother !

Thanks again guys.

Freddy
No the fixing foam expands very little and exerts no pressure to disturb the fixing.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/insta-stik-expanding-foam-grab-adhesive-750ml/72793

Thanks again for the input guys – appreciated.

Fox – I think I'm leaning towards trying the foam option for the middle/bottom as the skirting is profiled on the back for cable runs but run some grab adhesive (not Gripfill Yellow !) along the top edge to seal/fill there - going to be the more expensive option as I will pick up a gun too but if I end up with the right result that's the main thing.

Would it be best to still score the back of the mdf/Wall to provide a key for this PU fixing foam ?

Many thanks

FF

Quick follow up for the record....

Taking Foxholes suggestion I got hold of a new Gun and some Insta Stick Foam adhesive.

Tried a small sample overnight to see how it worked and how much expansion there was – looked good and as mentioned little expansion compared to “Expanding Foam”.

Went ahead with that method - Insta Stick foam down the middle and towards the bottom edge of the profiled cable run (not being used) – I also ran a bead of 'Sticks Like S***' along the top edge as a seal and just fill any gaps along the way. Screwed a couple of batons on the floor to keep some pressure against each length.

It's (so it seems) worked a treat so thanks for the input all.

Rgds
FF

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back