skirting boards seperating sides, splitting up the job.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it possible to split up a skirting board paint job by doing 2 coats coloured varnish one side and a few hours later doing the next side or the next day. Can this be done without any colour differential on sides done per day as long as there done soon enough to one another? Im just wondering as I can only remove so much from the room at a time and cant do the entire room in one go.

Sponsored Links
Well yes. To my knowledge, varnish as with oil paint and mid sheen/silk and even Matt for best results, you can bring it to a point, so long as that point is the end of one section, if you know what I mean? For example, varnish the skirting board completely all along one full wall, you can start again tomorrow where the new wall begins. Hope I'm making sense!! :)

Thats what ive been doing although i now have 3 walls where the first goes liight 2 to darker 3 to even darker so it kind of look odd. hmm.

Thats what ive been doing although i now have 3 walls where the first goes liight 2 to darker 3 to even darker so it kind of look odd. hmm.

Sponsored Links
might not have been stirred enough when you started, or maybe coats are different thickness.

I find you get better shade control using Colron for the colour, then an untinted varnish.

To late now completely cocked my entire room up it starts from light brown to golden brown to maroon to dark maroon. ****ing disaster.

Didn't stir it i read somewhere you shouldn't stir coloured varnish.

is there any way of fixing it or am i crewed and just suck it up and gloss them.

Shame spent hours sanding the skirting boards down.

If, as I guess, the tin is darker towards the bottom, apply another coat of the darker level on the wood which is currently pale.

What did the instructions on the tin say about stirring?

For example
http://www.ronseal.co.uk/home/interior-wood-and-furniture/interior-varnish/#backOfTin

"Give the tin a good stir before you use it. Apply an even layer of varnish in the direction of the wood grain. Put on 2-3 coats leaving 1 hour between coats. "

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back