Skirting Profile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any ideas on what this skirting profile could be? Apologies for the crude paint drawing.
It's similar to Taurus but the 'in' and 'out' are more rounded. skirtingboards.com have a large selection but no matches.

The only additional info I can give is that I know the architraves are formed as part of the door frame - I'm not sure if this is specific to any one manufacturer.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
There are many small variation on taurur skirting, if you are trying to match existing you could have it made up identical to your existing.
Don't understand your refernce to door architrave if you are searching for skirting?

Foxhole,

Thanks for the reply. The reference to the architrave was to try and identify a manufacturer. If XXX ltd is known for making door frames with integral architrave then they may have supplied the skirting as well.
Not sure that I can wear the cost of custom made, I might just have to get it as close as possible.

Thanks, Jon.

Looks a bit like Ogee but different places have different styles.

Sponsored Links
even the same company but a different branch could well have a different shape profile,as was the case at jewson when i build a house a few years back.had to go to same branch to get more stock to match.

Take a piece of the moulding to a decent timber/joinery workshop and they'll be able to make the profile up.

Done just that a few times but it's only really viable in certain situations, such as restoring an historic building. The problem is that of cost. The machine shop will have to make up the cutters to match your profile and afterwards they are left with what is in effect a useless non standard set of cutters. The cost of the timber is a relativly small part of the cost.
If you can would it not be possible to replace all the skirting, if it is only one room,with as close a match as you can find off the shelf. That way there will be no noticable differences in the room and won't be at all noticable from another room altogether. This approach would most likely be both cheaper and quicker.

I have a similar issue, I need a length of about 1.5m skirting to cross a gap where a fireplace is. The closest match I have found is the double reed type, but likewise it is not quite right.

I'm interested in the possibility of getting it cut by a timber merchant, I assume I would need to give them a drawing or mould of the section but I'm not sure how best to d this, any ideas? Someone mentioned this is prohibitively expensive, but is it not just a case of them routing out the same shape? I was also wondering whether this was something I could even do myself? Maybe not... :confused:

This is a rough drawing of the profile. Anyone recognise it?

[/img]

As I said in my former post the cost is theprice of a set of cutters that have to be ground to the correct shape. After cutting your metre and a half the cutters are for all intents and purpose useless, they're non standard and could sit on the shelf forever waiting for someone else to want that particular moulding.
As to making it yourself, that is probably the best option assuming that you are decent at woodwork. I've done it myself before now, it can be a little slow, you'll need a rebate plane, chisels, and plenty of sandpaper and patience but it won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Another option

http://www.antiquetools.co.uk/toolbox.php?category=Wooden planes
about the sixteenth one down
or scour the local second hand shops or auctions

I got a quote yesterday £40 +vat for 3m, thought that seemed pretty expensive really. I think if I needed more then it would work out more cost effective but otherwise it too costly.

I did find one website which had a closer match "st James" profile but still can't find the exact same section anywhere, which is odd as this house has a lot of this skirting! And I'm not convinced that it is the original stuff, because the condition of it it too good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back