Sky box 'no signal being received message 29'

Reaction score
Country
Barbados
Getting a 'no signal being received, please unplug and wait 5 mins' etc etc message 29, spoke to sky who went through various procedures and it looks like my 7 year old very basic sky box has shot it!

So the question, is it just a simple matter of buying another sky box, probably an HD one but not a + and plugging it in using my existing viewing card or do sky need to pair them or something along those lines and would they charge?

Sponsored Links
Could be an issue with the cable / dish end? Only way to check is with one of those signal testers

Are you a sky subscriber? you should just ring to cancel, they'll probably send someone to fix for free.

If not take the cancellation and in month sign up with a different name (wife / partner?) and get a fresh install / box.

A standard sky Digibox can be acquired for a tenner or less. Ask around. Many people have them lying around and you can use it for testing to ensure that you really do have a signal. You might even be able to borrow one.

A used SkyHD Digibox will cost a bit more. Try eBay and local papers.

Sky's normal callout charge of around £65 includes anything necessary to fix the fault, whether it be dish, LNB, cable or Digibox.

You can, of course, play the "I want to cancel" game. It depends on your conscience and how good you are at bluffing.

Phone Sky to get your card activated in the replacement Digibox. (This isn't necessary just for testing the signal, of course.)

Yes that's the long and short of it, 65 quid call out and to fix yet I can buy a cheap box and away I go again, I'm moving out soon and into the gf's so just looking at a quick fix hence the question whether a replacement box would be plug and play or wasn't it that simple as I would buy a cheap one from ebay

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I omitted one answer: no, Sky don't charge for activating your card in a replacement Digibox.

Cool so its just a case of buying a box, connecting it then ringing sky customer services, tell them what you've done and want your existing card pairing or activating to suit said new box?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back