sky box to another tv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have a sky box and want to run another tv upstairs,coax cable put through ceiling but what connection do i attach it too?do i need a sat box on the new tv.do i need to tune it in to tv?confused and only a learner

Sponsored Links
The cable connects to RF2 Out on the Sky box. The other end goes to the aerial socket on the TV.
You then need to switch on the RF2 output on the Sky box (if not already on), and tune in the TV to the signal.

This will get you the same picture on the upstairs TV as is shown on the main one downstairs. You can also buy a remote 'eye' for about £5 which enables you to control the box from upstairs using the same Sky remote. Or buy another remote if you want.

If you want a separate channel shown on the TV upstairs, you need another Sky box, cable from the box to the dish outside, and whatever subscription option from Sky contains the channels you want.

You'll be pleased to know that it's pretty straightforward :)

First things first... All you need is some good quality aerial cable, a few aerial plugs, and a Sky magic eye. A spare Sky remote control also comes in handy. The other thing to check before you spend any money is that the bedroom TV has an analogue tuner. The analogue tuner thing is important, because this is what we shall be using to see the picture from the Sky box downstairs.

Let's presume you have a TV capable of picking up Freeview; that's the digital tuner at work. The analogue tuner is what we used to use before Freeview came along. It's what we used when there was only 4 or 5 TV channels from the aerial. This is important to check because lots of new smaller TVs are coming without an analogue tuner. If you have the remote control and user manual handy then have a look at what the manual says about changing inputs. You can also find on some remotes that there's a button marked "TV/DTV". This swaps between the analogue tuner (TV) and digital tuner (DTV). If you are sure your upstairs TV has an analogue tuner then you're all set to go.

The parts you'll need are:

1x Sky eye There are a few different designs, but the type like the one in this link works the best because the little aerial wire makes it easier to connect at the TV end (less stress on the socket, no need to have extra cable joints, lies flatter if the TV is wall mounted) and the little square eye receiver thing is really unobtrusive

1x RF- or aerial back-to-back connector
m-DEtFKX0sJJCNCGPE83pUw.jpg

Some good quality coax cable LINK to WF100 on Satcure site. This WF100 is good without going silly. It's far far better than the cable that comes packaged with those aerial extension kits that are sold in DIY stores and supermarkets. They use poor cable and the picture quality after all your hard work really won't be as good as it could be. Get WF100 and you'll have the best you can get without going silly. Satcure sell it in different colours. They do white as well as the more usual black and the brown.

2x RF male plugs
41l4mLtGTcL.jpg

You'll probably need some cable clips too.

Once you have all the bits, then start at the upstairs TV end. Switch the telly off, and unplug the existing aerial wire. In its place, plug in the Sky eye fly lead end. Put the little square receiver end somewhere it will pick up the remote signals from where you will normally sit. There's a sticky pad on the back. I usually fit them to the bottom edge of the centre of the frame of the TV. Now fit your coax plug to the WF100 wire you bought. Plug that in to the socket side of the Sky eye.

Next, run the cable downstairs. Clip it to skirting etc as needed.

When you reach the Sky box, cut off any excess from the cable you are running, then fit the other aerial plug. Then add the back to back (barrel) adapter. Switch off and unplug your Sky box. This wire with the barrel connector goes to the Sky box socket marked RF2. Put everything straight and plug in the Sky box. It will take about 10 minute to reboot. Good time to grab a glass of something chilled ;)

Make sure the Sky box is on. You now need to go in to the Sky box menus and switch on the 9 volt power that will make the Sky eye work. The exact method depend on the type of box you have, but most now have the black Sky HD box; so the key sequence is Services.....0.....0.....1.....Select. The instructions that come with the Sky Eye should list the options for other boxes.

The service menu will appear. It'll probably default to "Setup", so use the cursor keys on the Sky remote to choose the heading "RF Out". There should be a menu that gives "RF Outlet Power Supply" as on item. Navigate down to it and then use the left or right key to make the choice of ON. press the green button so the box remembers the setting. You can press Sky to quick exit from the menus.

Before you go back upstairs put your Sky box on either the TV Guide or on to channel 995. This will help you identify the Sky box signal.

Take another glass of something cold upstairs. Check that there's a little red light on the magic eye... If not, go back downstairs switch off and unplug the Sky box and recheck all your connections. There might be a single loose filament of the braid touching the copper centre pin somewhere, or you are connected to RF1 out rather than RF2. Fix whatever the problem is, switch back on, channel 995 or TV guide, back upstairs.

Put the TV on, switch to the analogue tuner. Go in to the setup/tuning menu. Select the analogue tuning option. Scan until you find the the Sky TV guide or channel 995. Follow the TV instructions to store the channel.

BTW, the TV Guide does go off after a while if left unattended. But as long as your Sky remote works via the link you can always put it back on again to help when tuning.

The above seems like a lot when it's written out step-by-step. But really all it is is an extension from the Sky box RF2 out, then adding an infra red receiver, and a bit of TV tuning. If you have an aerial connected to the Sky box downstairs then you'll still get Freeview on the upstairs TV. Also, it's worth pointing out that although you have full control of the Sky box (including play, rewind, pause, recording and playback) that the picture upstairs is only a window on what the downstairs TV is seeing when switched to Sky. IOW, you can't watch two different Sky channels at the same time. For that you are best off ordering Sky multiroom.

Sponsored Links
All you need is some good quality aerial cable
I wouldn't use that term. Magic Eyes are very susceptible to interference so use double-screened "satellite" cable.

WF65-1 (thin cable) is absolutely fine if you don't want to use the thicker WF100.

I wouldn't use that term. Magic Eyes are very susceptible to interference so use double-screened "satellite" cable.
Hi Sam, I take your point, but I wonder if someone without our indepth knowledge would make the distinction between single and double-screen cable?

In fact, I'll bet that most ordinary folk would presume that satellite cable is purely for connecting up satellite systems, and that "aerial cable" is what's needed for aerial connections. Do you see the distinction? We've had this discussion before, and both know that you and I can discuss cables in detail because we have a deep understanding on the subject. But for folk like Helenrandles who come on and say "confused and only a learner" it's more appropriate to say "This is good. Use this" and then point to a link that shows exactly what they should use rather than losing them in a hailstorm of technobabble, no matter how well intentioned.

There's a good phrase I learned a long time ago.... KISS... and it stands for Keep It Simple, Stupid. I think it's a good motto for remembering that many folk who call by forums aren't experts, they're often just looking for a bit of advice in straightforward simple-to-understand language. :)

thank you so much for all your replies .i have learnt loads about the subject from your posts,and i bet other people will too.but please dont be negative about information given.i am very happy you have taken the time and effort to send me a reply.kind regards helen

Problem is that most people look no further than "aerial cable". They dash to the nearest DIY store and buy "aerial cable", which nowadays may have as little as 40% screening. The DIY store won't stock a WF cable so they grab whatever "aerial cable" is on offer.

Consequently I never use the phrase.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back