slate roof condition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Got a small semi built 1919 with slate roof, very small only around 25m2, no roofing felt. Perhaps the roof goes back to 1919. The slates are all intact but look rather 'weathered', with ragged edges, not the clean edges as in the pics posted in a recent thread by johnb829.

All of the timbers in the roof (purlins, chevrons and laths) seem sound. However in places the purlins seem to have got moist, such that their bottom surface is 'flaky' and breaking up. This moistness doesn't seem to be sourced from the roof though - I can't make it out.

I can't help thinking that there could be other timbers that are moist but I can't get access to most of the timbers because someone has previously hardboarded out the sloping ceiling (I guess as a poor substitute for roofing felt).

I believe that there has been no tiles slipped.
I don't know whether at one extreme I should not be at all bothered or at the other extreme, the roof is already past the point at which it should be replaced.

Does anyone have a view or similar experience ? Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back