Slate Roof Verge - Suitable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've recently had some work done on my roof and I'm not completely happy with the slate verges as I think the should be finished off with an undercloak and mortar (see photo). Best ignore the large crack too as this was missed during the work...

Is this a suitable method of finishing the verges off? It face north west so will see a fair bit of the driven rain.

Cheers

WM

Attachments

• P1030620.JPG
    P1030620.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 455
Sponsored Links
Its not finished. An undercloak and bed would be best in that situation.
I guess originally it may have been pointed up from the brick to the underside of the verge slates. As it stands it needs work. And tell them to take that friggin nail out by the gutter that they used for their strung line..

Are those bits of wood ready to be smudged up with mortar?

I'm surprised that their Labrador missed that crack. Training must by slipping at the RNIB. :rolleyes:

It was not uncommon to cut pieces of batten in between slate batten, as in the picture. This allows better fixing scope.
But in this case.. to be left exposed in an unfinished state.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses folks. It is as I thought, a fairly poor job, or rather a half finished poor job.

I'm torn between accepting stuffing mortar in the space or asking for the slates to be lifted and rebedded. I know which I prefer and which he'll prefer...

Cheers

Do you have a Photo of the actual slate work?
The slate work looks good and having further discussions he's adamant that finishing it off like that is how it's done. They've done many roofs and finished them like that.

I'll try and get a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 187

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back