Slate tile replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While repainting the facias of my 200 year old cottage I have discovered that a couple of roof tiles are broken and need replacing. Removing and replacing them seems to be a fairly staightforward job but the main problem is finding replacement slates. The size of the slates is 11 x 22 inch and a bit of internet research seems to suggest that this is not a size generally manufactured today. Any suggestions as to where to start looking for replacements, particularly as I only require 2 or 3, or am I looking at having to buy larger ones and cut them down. North Hampshire area. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
as said reclamation yard or get new 24x12's . Just remember the thickness your slates are and get ones that are a close match.

Thanks for the suggestions. The local reclaim yard has come up blank so I guess I'm cutting down a couple of 12x24s. Do I need any special equipment for this, or can I just score them and snap them like wall tiles.

Sponsored Links
Basingstoke area. I opted for man made cement tiles as a temporary measure because the area that needed replacement isn't really visable and the whole roof will probably need doing in five years or so. Cutting them was fairly straightfoward. I scored them heavily along the cutting point then sandwiched them tightly between two lengths of 3x3 and hit them with a hammer.
A couple of the old tiles are starting to go a bit "chalky". Is there anything I can use to seal their surface?

Cement fibre slates do score and snap easily.
Not much you can do with the rest of the slate. I would suggest you dont paint anything on the slates as this will render them totally worthless if you have the roof stripped later on. carry on with the TLC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back