Slate tile verge detail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This is my first post here. I'm trying to figure out a detail for an extension I'm designing, the neighbours have made all attempts to be as infuriating as possible requiring absolutely no part of the extension to breach into their site (not even a 50mm overhang!) over the party wall.

What I'm trying to do is form a little angle with mortar that will enable the slate tiles along the verge to A) not overhang whatsoever, and B) form a slight fall to allow water to flow back onto the roof and onto a box gutter by the eaves.

Is this possible at all?

I've attached a quick sketch of how I imagine it would work (I've left out a lot of the roof components like waterproofing, vapour barrier, etc, as that has already been figured out, just trying to figure out the verge detail now).

sketch.jpg

Sponsored Links
Perhaps I am reading it wrong, but your Left drawing makes it look like a flat roof, and your Right drawing like a pitched roof. Which is it?

Which direction are your neighbours? Do they have a building, or a garden, adjacent to your extension?

Apologies for the lack of clarity - it's a pitched roof. I was trying to do a cross-section (left drawing), and roughly marking where the section was being cut on the diagram on the right.

The neighbours are to the right of the existing wall (on the left drawing). Actually, calling it an 'existing wall' is incorrect - it is an extension of the party wall. They currently have a garden adjacent to the extension's proposed location.

It's also somewhat unfair to call them 'infuriating', while they have been difficult, the particular reason for not having an overhang is that they've expressed interest in using this extended party wall to build an extension of their own in the future (near or far) - so an overhanging verge is off the table.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back