Sleeper Bed / Retainer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive read all the really helpful advice on here but I would just like to run my plan by you all and ask a few questions before I start.

I'm going to be putting two stepped rectangular beds, each 600mm high, in front of and into the raised grass area.

I will be using new softwood 2.4x100x200 sleepers, on their edge, and looking to fix the first row of these beds with concrete/postcrete and rebar, then timberlok the next two layers.

1) Would this method be strong enough to keep back the soil?

2) If so, how far into the earth does the rebar need to go?

3) Should I use M20 or M16 rebar?

4) What type (not size!) of bit should I use for the rebar holes ?

Any help or other suggestions gratefully received. This is the first part of a total garden makeover so I may be back with lots more queries.

Sponsored Links
waste of time and effort. no need for rebar at that size. if they are rectangular beds then they will hold in position if there are sleepers on all 4 sides. if they are going against the wall then a couple of posts behind concreted into teh ground, screwed to the back of the sleepers will be more than adequate

Cheers for the the quick reply.
They are going to be rectangular beds. So no rebar, just bed on concrete?

just bed them on compacted earth, they really wont go anywhere. no need for concrete at all

Sponsored Links
use any decent stain, such as cuprinol, ronseal or sadolins, but youre making a maintenance issue for yourself

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back