Sliding patio door - lock and general door queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother's sliding patio door is of the type that has a lever that you push up/pull down to engage the latch along with a Yale-type lock.

The lever looks like this:

http://www.theplasticdepot.co.uk/patio-door-lock-operating-lever-kit.ir

(I've been trying to find some better photos online of the whole lock arrangement but no luck yet, all I can find is the lever type).

As my mother's hands are becoming increasingly arthritic and weaker she is finding it difficult to use the lever.

Is there a much simpler to use patio door lock which can, relatively easily, be exchanged for her current one? I have no idea of the make of patio door that she has so I guess this is a tricky question to answer! I'll have to take some photos of the door when I next visit her.

She also finds the door quite heavy to slide (it's lubricated just fine) but short of replacing the whole door I can't think of a solution to that. Can a special electric motor be fitted to a fairly standard aluminium sliding door?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back