Slight damp in poor circulating area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have minimal levels of damp in one corner of the front room (bay window, front of house on external wall).

I've moved furniture and curtains as much as possible but I think the area will always suffer so I'd like to try something a little better.

What's the least intrusive method for fixing this? I want to try and avoid re-plastering and limit it to patching-up.

I considered something like a hit and miss vent but they all seem like big holes to punch through the wall.

Would drilling a few holes and finding a tidy way to cover be worth it?

Sponsored Links
What sort of damp? Black mould damp or yellow and white stain damp?

Could be caused by a leak or by condensation.. Sort that first, or any remedial works will be temporary

Sponsored Links
I know the cause, it's the external wall with poorly circulating air.

By drilling holes through the wall and covering with a grille, is this likely to resolve the issue?

How do you know now if you didn't know on sunday?

The cause of the "damp" has not been nailed down, it could be a mixture of rising damp, penetrating damp or most likely, as above, condensation.

Why not post pics of the outside & the inside of the wall.

Installing a vent could possibly make it worse. sounds like condensation on a cold wall to me.

I'll get some pictures - what in particular would help establish the issue? Just a couple of shots to indicate the construction and area?

I'm pretty sure it's poor circulation: corner of the ground floor, front bay window, slate DPC with a solid wall. Property built 1916. Happily take advice on it and being wrong though.

Just stick some polystyrene paper on it. It'll cure the problem.

No.
Its condensation on a cold wall, a vent will make the wall colder.

You can try what joe suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back