Slotted Brass Screws Sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm fitting some shelves into a front room alcove and used slotted domed brass screws to fix wooden battens onto the wall in order to create a 'retro' look for decorative effect. I'd like to use the same sort of screw to fix the shelves down onto the battens in order to match, but I'd like a thinner screw as the battens are only 15mm wide and as I'm close to the edge of the shelves I I don't want to risk splitting the board. So close to the wall it will be hard to drill pilot holes.

I found very few of this type of screw on sale when I bought the originals, e.g. Screwfix seemed to have none at all in their catalougue. I got 8 x 1 1/2 screws from Wilko's for the battens and they do a 6 x 1". Is this type of screw (slotted, domed head) made in smaller sizes? If they are where can they be bought? A 3/4" length would do the job of retaining the shelves quite well and will minimise the difficulty of drilling pilot holes.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Plenty of raised head brass screws from Kay's on Ebay........of course, you may not need screws at all.
However, if you do want to fix the shelves down, consider using a steel screw first - much tougher.
John :)

yes, brass screws are very soft and there is a good chance they will break in the shaft or head.

You can easily drill clearance holes in the shelf by marking them then lifting off. If you can't pilot drill the battens, agree, drive a steel screw in first to cut the hole before you use brass.

Indoors, you could use brass plated steel, but I don't think I've seen them in tiny sizes. They rust fast if damp.

Thanks to both of those for the suggestions. Really useful to be reminded to look on Ebay, I always tend to forget that it's the source of almost everything these days! Kay's do have a 3/4" screw, and I've ordered from them. Great job.

Sponsored Links
screwsline do all sorts of screws but I have a feeling they may now be defunct.

On a separate note there is no way you'll get a brass screw into timber without a pilot hole if the screw is under approx 6 gauge. Brass screw are overated IMO. what about black japanned?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back