Slow hot water from bath tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As my heading says i have a problem with the hot water pressure coming from my bath tap. It is very slow in fact it is only just a trickle now. The kitchen and the bathroom sink pressure is fine. Could i have air in pipe and if so how do i get rid of it.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I know this is going to sound stupid but can that be fixed from the top of the tap? I am asking because a carpenter put wood panelling around my bath and put the doors in the centre so now i cant get to the underneath of the tap unless i remove and wreck all the woodwork!

yes
do you know what taps they are ?
some are washers some are cartridges.

as for the carpenter should of known better. what if you get a leak under the bath.

Sponsored Links
They are the ones with washers because i remember a plumber charging me a fortune to change a washer before and when my father heard how much he went mad. That is my worry if there is a problem with the tap or another part of the plumbing under the bath. I really cant afford to pull it all off. Would i have to turn any water off at the mains to replace a washer on the hot water taps. I know these are stupid questions but i really dont know anything about plumbing,

One other thing to check: does spout of tap have a straining mesh that can be unscrewed. They can get blocked with bits. Probably not the case but worth a check.

Yes i have got a copper tank in airing cupboard. I think that there is a small tap by the side of it. Would that be to stop the hot water? I have checked the end of the tap spout and it appears clean. It doesn't unscrew though.

their should be a pipe that feeds the bottom of the cylinder from loft.
half way down as you say will be a gate valve etc shut that run hot tap it should stop after about 15 secs.

yes there is. So if i shut that off then the hot water won't run into taps yes? I have seen on a websiste how to change a washer (not sure where it was!!) I am going to have a go tomorrow - i can't make it worse. It seemed easy enough!!! Let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your advice.

providing it shuts ok. when shut just run the hot tap and it should come to a stop if valve shutting ok.

I have seen on a websiste how to change a washer (not sure where it was!!) I am going to have a go tomorrow - i can't make it worse. It seemed easy enough!!! Let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your advice.

Last edited by Kath123 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back